Saturday 21 March 2009

Saturday 21/03/2009 - Hillview Open - Rover

It was a good feeling to be going fishing with my son Steve again after his two and half year’s lay-off. He’s been busy bring up my beautiful twin Granddaughters. The choice of venue was Steve’s; he has always enjoyed fishing at Hillview, I have too. After an egg and bacon toasty, we drew for our position in the rover. I drew peg 13 (not that I am superstitious) and Steve 7. We were informed that Moorhen was now fishing best out of the two Lakes. Steve chose peg 19 and I chose peg 2 both on Moorhen (photograph upper right shows our pegs; that’s Steve on the right of the sign - setting up, mine is on the left), purely out of nostalgia. It’s the peg I have enjoyed fishing most over the years. I’m hopeless on picking pegs on rovers.

My peg is the deepest on the venue, which gradually shelf’s off to eight foot at 10 metres. I use three rigs; one 4x16 ay 10 metres; one 4x14 at 5 metres and a margin rig to the right over the straw bale. I started fishing 4mm GOT pellet at 5 metre, which resulted in three foul hooked carp and three scales in the net! The Carp were up in the water cruising around. I then had a run of Bream to 3lb. I had fed corn at 10 metres, so gave that a go. I had one Roach and a 3lb Bream. Back onto the 5 metre line and another run of Bream with a couple of “Stockies”. I kept switching between the two lines until the last hour or so, then in to the margin with paste!! I had two good Carp, the second chasing out any remaining Carp. I decided to finished the match on the 10 metre line which resulted in another Carp and a 2lb Skimmer. I weighed 35lb , which included 20lb of Bream for seventh in the match.

Steve beat me with 65lb 8oz. He was helped by a PB Carp of 19lb (pictured upper right with his PB). Steve caught most of his Carp on pellet from both his left hand and right hand margins. This put Steve 3rd overall and a pick up of £30.

The match was won by Saturday regular Gerry Tweed (pictured lower right). Gerry chose peg 70 on the third Canal for 94lb 6oz (a "nearly ton") of small Carp caught on soft pellet.

Full Result:

1. Gerry Tweed 94-06-0 peg 70
2. Richard Ahearn 87-02-0 peg 32
3. Steve Nicholls 65-08-0 peg 19
4. Gary Pickings 53-0-0 peg 28
5. Alan Such 45-06-0 peg 16Trevor Chalk 38-02-0 peg 37 (must be close season on the rivers)

No comments: