Monday 9 March 2009

Sunday 08/03/2009 - Viaduct Winter League Teams of Five - Final Round Five

I had a phone call from mate Darren Gillman who had been, fishing the ATSWWL Semi final on the K&A Canal for Bathampton AA. He informed me that the team had “finished, plumb last”. The match was won by Garbolino BMG with Diawa Gordon League and Preston Thatcher’s coming joint second – all three qualifies for the AT winter league final – not the Nene again, unlucky sods!!

Today was the final match of the series. I was looking forward to fishing the last match on Campbell Lake. I didn’t mind where I drew; I didn’t expect to draw the sacred Harry Potter peg (123). However, Captain George pull peg 111 for me, I was delighted, as it’s a good Silvers peg. I spoke to a few of the venue regulars and they advised I should be thinking Carp on the straight lead and treble corn. So I thus, felt obliged to set it up. I also set up two Silvers rigs (both 4x14 wire stem). One for 10 metres and the other 4 metres (in case the wind picked up!!). I started at 10 metres and had a couple of decent Skimmers before the Ronnie’s moved in. I really struggled for any decent Silvers. The wind was blowing at me from about 10-o- clock and was pushing the float through with it; I just couldn’t pick up the tow. We then had a horrendous storm of high gusting winds and hailstones. I had to stop fishing the pole and chuck the lead out (see it has its uses). Fair play to the angler on the next peg 112 (pictured right - take note of the amount of pole he has behind him - this helps compendate for the wind - the angler being the point of rotation) who stuck it out. The angler behind me also tried to continue fishing only to see his Maver pole shatter in to three pieces. After the storm the wind became more persistent, changing by about five degrees more in to my face. This change allowed me to present the double caster over loose fed caster much better. In fact I began to pick up the tow. What a change this made in the last half hour or so of the match, I just could not fish fast enough. I had three personal best Perch that weighed a total of 8lb, three Tench and two Bream. Even though I was fairly weather battered by this time I didn’t want the match to end. End it did and I weighed 19 lb of Silvers for fifth (they pay four) on the Lake and 16 points and first in the Silver and a pick up of £110.

The match was won by Andy Lloyd from peg 15 with 170lb 7oz. Andy fished the pole down the right hand margin landing 22 carp on Maggot and sweet corn.

At last the team had a decent draw. George played the Captains role by weighing 10lb of Silvers off an un-fancied peg on Cary. However, team mate Matt Cardwell (pictured right) did brilliantly off Lodge peg 66. Matt put 89lb of Carp on the scales for second overall and the best weight off Lodge throughout the series – well done Matt.

The team amassed a score of 74 points, which put us joint second overall. As I half expected this pushed the team up the league to fifth overall and last in the money and a team pick up of £100 and a box of Sensas ground bait. Well done lads. Most importantly we beat Avon Angling by a considerable margin of 20 points!!

Full Result on the day:

1. Andy Lloyd 170-07-0 peg 15

2. Matt Cardwell 89-0-0 peg 66
3. Stuart Taylor 74-02-0 peg 16
4. Steve Jackson 50-09-0 peg 50
5. Steve Kedge 49-01-0 peg 97
6. Ian Willets 46-01-0 peg 132

Top Silvers:

1. Mike Nicholls 19-0-0 peg 111

2. Steve martin 16-04-0 peg 116
3. Stuart Foale 16-01-0 peg 71
4. Paul Greenwood 14-11-0 peg 126

Teams on the Day:
1. Wiltshire Angling 83
2. Viaduct Allstars 74
2. Team Keyford 74
5. Enterprise Angling 71
6. Team Veals 71
7. Somerset Angling 65

Teams Overall (final league position):
1. Somerset Angling 356 (£750)
2. Viaduct Select 300 (£500)
3. Team Keyford 296 (£300)
4. Maver Veals Red 291 (£200)
5. Viaduct Allstars 286 (£100)
……
11. Avon Angling 266

Top Overall Individuals:
1. Steve Kedge 94 (£250) (out of a possible 100 – incredible)
2. Ray Hayward 78 (£160)
3. Jess Jordan 76 (£100)
4. Chris Davis 76 (£80)
5. Kevin Perry 73 (£60)

No comments: