Wednesday 21 April 2021

Tuesday 20/04/2021 - Acorn - Cost Cutter - Paddocks

Another light frost to be followed by a near windless, bright sunny day. Strange weather which is definitely affecting the fishing country wide.

Bob Feltham (aka MD) came round and presented with my membership to the RJS club with the team hat - nice long peak. Must say MD makes a good impression of a lubricated zip!

I had a walk around before the draw and reckoned pegs 1 to 5, 6 to 10 and pegs at the far end where there were plenty of Carp on show on pegs 27 to 30. With the conditions the fish are following the wind irrespective how light it is.

What can I say three matches since lockdown and three bridges with Mike today drawing me peg 33 and once again becalmed by the other side of the bridge (the above picture shows how flat the water was).

I set up all sorts and the upshot being, after 4 hours I had a couple of pound of Silvers and one Carp. I could see signs of Carp very shallow just up by the bridge and thought two or three times about shallowing up a rig to fish around - but didn't bother - could have been a mistake.

With two hours to go the sun was now such that the empty platform on peg 32 had gone in the shade at my side so went down there with a 4x12 Roob with 4 mm expander over micro and had a Carp first try. I then got pestered by small fish nicking the pellet. So went out with the 0.3 gram paste float and quickly added five more Carp. I had a look at the clock and with an hour to go I started to think I might get somewhere. The lad on peg 31 spotted this and decided to also come to the platform. I then hooked a small Carp with my rig catching in the Lads rig. This meant I had to go down to the the platform to unhitch my float. I also had to get down to free my elastic which had caught in the platform wood severely damaging it. I did free it and walked the fish back to my peg and landed it. I don't know it his upset the peg but my framing hopes were dashed only landing one more Carp.

My Silvers weighed 2lb 9oz and my few Carp 32lb 7oz for a no where total of 35 lb. I've had loads of lessons on "If you think of something - try it" . Should have tried shallow at the bridge to satisfy my inquisitiveness.

The match was won by Zac Williams (pictured right) with 113lb 13oz from Bridge peg 21! Zac setup his lines short then bottom of the slope at 11meters then a few dobbing rigs and a couple of mugging rigs. Started short without a bite. Zac could see the odd fish around his peg so decided to cut out the feed and get his head down mugging. Zac spent more or less the whole match on this. In the last 20 minutes he nicked three down the edge.

The Silvers was won by Alan Smith (RSJ) (pictured with the match winner) with 33lb  3oz from peg 13. Alan caught mostly down the track using worm over chopped worm and caster. Well done matey good weight on the day.

Finally but most important a really well done to Junior Freddie Clarke and his parents for supporting him (pictured right) catching 60lb 5oz from peg 1. He had Glenn Bailey worried until the last hour who went on to take third place with 99lb. Lol

Result:









Weigh Sheets:












No comments: