Monday 5 April 2021

Sunday 04/04/2021 - Westerleigh Winter League - Round Three - Taylors Pool and Shipp's Canal

Due to lockdown I expected this league to be cancelled so booked into Tony Rixon's Short Pole and Float Only Leagues, so was surprised when Bri Shanks texted that all eight matches would be completed. So a couple of clashes to manage.

My turn on Shipp's Canal. Woke to find a heavy frost, no wind and bright skies which would stay with us all day - not conducive for what is already a difficult venue.

Nice to catch up with the lads. Apparently it's no longer Bob "The Bread" Price but Bob "Pablo Picasso" Price - he's taken up artistic painting.

Drew myself peg 2. For most it's s frustrating peg because of the close proximity of the otter fence behind the peg, about 8 foot. Can't get a pole roller the other side either. To fish to the far bank would definitely put poles at risk of breakage with such a huge hangover. So set up the Mosella high roller (fishery rules don't allow to place poles or rollers on top of fence) and found it comfortable and safe with the Drennan margin pole with top-set and three barrels.

Set up to two rigs - 4x13 MR to fish the longer lengths in 6 foot of water and a 4x12 Roob to fish up to the bush on my left. Planned to keep it simple with GB and maggot. Started at two barrels with double DR's over neat GB out in front. I was soon to learn this was a mistake because of the shadows cast by the island trees it was difficult reading the bites. I was foul hooking and bumping small Crucians and F1's - nothing bigger than 8 oz though. I stayed on this line until it I killed it. What I have found with these small fish it that they "Ball" up and move around once unsettled. Changed line to 10 o'clock at three barrels. This time introducing some DR's in the GB. Should have started here as I could read the bites much better. A run of 8 oz fish and a couple of small Silvers - as expected it was fishing hard all over. The "ball" of fish moved off again so rested the line and tried down to the bush kinder potting loose DR's and caught some more small hybrid Carp. Went back out on the 10 o'clock line and hooked a decent Common which thankfully I landed. After a while of no indications decided to spend the last hour or so up to the bush, this time feeding some GB. I had a run of some Mirror Carp to 4 lb, losing two around the metal post snapping the hook length. The Carp petered out to be replaced by tiny Perch and one 3 oz Tench.

I thought I had high teens, hoping for 20 lb and with 24 lb winning the Canal I wasn't hopeful. However, I had totally underestimated the weight of the 7 lb Common Carp which was nearer 14 lb! My net of Widgers weight just under 10 lb. My total weight was 34 lb 11oz so miles out on my estimate which was enough to win the Canal and the match.

Result:

Canal:

1. Mike Nicholls 34-11-0 peg 2

2. Lee Waller 24-0-0 peg 12

Silvers - Bill Ferris 4-08-0 peg 11

Taylors Pool:

1. Steve Rogers 18-04-0 peg 17

2. Brian Shanks 17-14-0 peg 20

Silvers - Ryan Jordan 5-08-0 peg 21

Weigh Sheet:

No comments: