Friday 16 April 2021

Thursday 15/04/2021 - Shiplate Cost Cutter - Main Lake

Another beautiful morning, but still carrying that Northerly nip in the light breeze. Great to be out and feeling good today.

First time for newly born expected flyer peg 0 to be used in a match. The night before Two Pots said Junior would draw it, can you believe it he did!! In his defence it was drawn for him. I was given peg 3. Opposite was Tony Rixon 12A, Two Pots 13 and Kev Winstone 13A - so expected some piss taking - pictured.

Arrived at my peg and again found myself becalmed - indeed flat calm, but optimistically fancied I might catch some Silvers. So set up the Ronnie rig for the elusive Roach that haven't fed yet this year and a 4x13 MR for the Skimmers at various lengths a lines.

Started at top set plus two barrels with 4mm expander over micro. This is a bait that often gets an immediate response, so after 20 minutes without any signs I knew it was going to be a difficult day. So switched to GB laced with Pinkies and single DR on the hook and over the next 30 minutes had two small Skimmers - definitely rock hard. Added more barrels to 10 metres and tried another line again with GB and - nothing. So went down to my right where the depth was 1 foot shallower and
fed some chopped worm and caster and had another two small Skimmers, losing one. Decided I wasn't going to bother the frame in anyway today so went down and had a chat with Junior who was having a torrid time foul hooking Carp, but had 25 lb on the clicker. Got back to my peg and needed to do something that I liked to run the clock down, so set up the waggler to fish LR's over to the island. It's very shallow over so had to drag quite a bit of line, so anticipated foul hooking Carp. To my surprise I didn't. However, there was just significant number of bites from small Ronnie's and Rudd to keep me from boredom.

I weighed 4lb 7oz which, except for 2 DNW's was last in the match, but not last in the Silvers!
I wish I had taken my Skimmer feeder rod and fished a tiny feeder into the open water which might have been a better option.

Found put that they had been pumping water in all week, which probably account for 50% of the poor fishing today.

The match was won by Gary "Junior" Bowden (pictured right) with 119 lb rom peg Zero PT. Gary caught most of his 19 Carp on paste down the middle of the leg.

The Silvers was won by Tony Rixon (pictured with the match winner before he had a drink - 😄) with 40 lb from peg 12A. Tony initially caught on maggot and GB then switched to chopped worm - see his blog for further details.

Result:

1. Gary Bowden 119-12-0 peg 0

2. Tony Rixon 67-0-0 peg 12A

3. Norman H 48-0-0 peg 5

Silvers:

1. Tony Rixon 40-0-0 peg 12A

2. Ron Stark 17-10-0 peg 15

Weigh Sheet:





No comments: