Wednesday 14 April 2021

Tuesday - 13/04/2021 - Acorn Cost Cutter - Paddocks

What a beautiful day - bright, windless and light frost. Conducive to fishing doubtful. Mike Chapman pulled me peg 21. The other side of the bridge I had last match. Not previously drawn this bridge until now then draws it twice, was to prove "A Bridge too many"?

Had my post set up walk around and came first to the angler that owns these top-sets adorned with pots on peg 29. Onward to island peg 4 where I found the owner of a virgin pole, which

is without doubt currently the second best pole made (the best is the Exo). I was delighted that he caught on it today, otherwise I might have got a bargain!

As peg 22 was left out I decided to fish for the elusive Tench up to the bridge and this time stick with it. For this I had set up a 4x13 MR float. I also set up a paste float for the LH margin which was perfect for it, however, when I did get round to trying it the wind had blown lots of scum in to it so left it. I also set up a light 4x12 for down the peg to the right. Out of respect to Gary who gave me his wives last piece of breakfast bread I set up a Dobbing rig. I had a little go on Gary's specially prepared plastic bread for about 3 minutes!

The upshot was I caught some Tench on 6 mm expander over micro on and off for about 3 hours, however, the were small with the biggest 1 1/2 lb. Tried long down the right with the light rig and had one Carp, a Skimmer and some tiny Ronnie's. The last hour saw the Carp arrive losing as many as I landed through either foul hooking and or impatient angling.

My Tench weighed 13 lb 5 oz and my Carp 26lb for a nowhere total of 39lb 5oz. The peg was worth much more Carp had I targeted them.

The match was won by Mark Walsh (pictured with the Silvers winner) with 73lb 4 oz from peg 17. Mark caught on expander over micro and a few soaked 4's fishing top kit set in 3 foot of water.

The Silvers was won by Eddie Wynne (pictured with the match winner) with 27 lb 14 oz from Bridge peg 34. Eddie caught up to the bridge with maggot feed and hook bait. His catch was mainly big Tench but did include two big Perch.

At last the day Gary, Glenn and me were really looking forward to, a garden pint on the way home in our usual stop off. However, got to the pub and it was closed even though it had notice saying it would be open from 12 pm! Onward to Chew Magna for our second attempt at a pint, car park full so onward to the third attempt, The Lock Keeper in Keynesham. Needed to download App, register, sign in, find a table, order the drinks and pay and probably have to wait to bedtime for the drinks to arrive. The App was binned quicker than downloaded. Fourth attempt was to be the King Billy where we parked around the back in the garden to be told that it was American car night and couldn't park. So we all went home. Not the perfect end to the day that were hoping for to go with two pickups.

Result:















Weigh Sheets:










No comments: