Friday 17 May 2019

Thursday 16/05/2019 - Viaduct Thursday Costcutter - Carey and Lodge Lakes

I had originally booked into Shiplate with Glenn on the reserve list. However, as was expected from this popular venue a space didn't come available. Glenn preference was Viaduct so I cancelled my place at Shiplate before checking Viaduct had spaces - they didn't! so booked into Windmill. However, a late phone call from Steve Long found us two spaces. So cancelled Windmill! I was happy with any of these venues. However, looking forward to Viaduct and seeing the Long family again especially now the 200 -300 lb weights at Viaduct have subsided.

Glenn usually turns out immaculately, but today it looked like he had slept outside Veals all night. His excuse was there was no mirrors in his van sun visors. I spoke to his Wife who promised to look into it! First stop for us Cannards Well for breakfast which has drastically improved, really enjoyed it.

Although I had my usual baits for Carp the mission was to try and qualify for the Silvers final. So having caught up with the Thursday regulars which left me last but one to draw and pulls the peg that only needs a picture. I have noticed that some Skimmers have been caught at this end of the lake over the last year, so happy with this until I got to my peg and could see plenty of evidence of feeding Carp. I called Glenn and asked him the best way to avoid them - he's good at this! For company opposite on peg 66 was John Darby who was to have a torrid time during the first half of the match fighting Carp, Trees and Bushes.

On my peg you have to set up a couple of incase Carp rigs - which was paste and meat which luckily didn't get wet. Two Silvers rigs a 4x12 Winter Titan to fish top-set plus one and the Ronnies rig - both to fish out in front. I started on the Ronnie rig with single caster over GB laced with caster and was amazed not to get a Ronne first try - still not feeding properly then. Over the next 30 minutes I had a torrid time losing foul hooked Skimmers and one decent Hybrid - at least 8 to 10 lb of them which left very little in the keep net. I kept feeding the GB with caster and tried loose feeding which brought loads of bites which I could not connect with at first I thought it was Motherless, but found the culprits to be 1 oz Skimmers - last years fish I think - good sign. It was obvious the Lake was fishing hard. Half time with about 8 lb in the net I went for a banana walk around to Glenn on peg 87 who confirmed Carey was also fishing hard he had just two Carp and a couple of accidental Skimmers. So back in the saddle and changed to feeding dry GB but still the caster. This improved my catch rate mainly catching on the drop. The Skimmers wouldn't settled to bottom. I switched between my two Silvers rigs keeping the odd Ronnie and Skimmers coming, it was hard to understand the feeding as I would catch in spasms. The last half hour was poor as the Carp started to respond to the loose fed caster I only foul hooked one which bent the hook once I quickly bottomed out the elastic.

When the scales arrived 23 lb was winning the Silvers and knew I had more weighing 26 lb 6 oz for a Silvers win and through to the al winners - mission completed.

The match was won by the effervescent Roy Worth (pictured upper right with some of his catch) with 129 lb 5 oz from Carey peg 94. Roy caught fishing over to peg 93 on the lead using 4 or 6 mm banded pellet over loose fed 4's (Silvers and match winners - Badger and Fox pictured right).

Glenn sneaked in 5th and last in the pools, so van double bubble. Another memorable day at Viaduct with friends.

Off to Todber Saturday for mate Terry Bruton's Memorial match and Thursday Hunstrete Over 55's . Then Sunday back down Viaduct for the first of Rixon's Float Only.

Result:

1. Roy Worth 129-05-0 peg 94
2. Steve Chant 107-05-0 peg 78
3. Nigel Easton 92-0-0 peg 100
4. C Hyton 76-05-0 peg 53
5. Glenn Bailey 72-14-0 peg 87

Silvers:

1. Mike Nicholls 26-06-0 peg 64
2. Pete 23-07-0 peg 105
3. Andy Cranston 22-01-0 peg 69

Weigh Sheets:











No comments: