Tuesday 28 May 2019

Sunday 26/05/2019 - Viaduct - Tony Rixon Float Only - Round One - Campbell and Carey

For a few years now I have had to miss one or three of these matches so good news my calender is telling me for once that I will be able to fish all of them this year - so far!!

First stop Cannards Well for Bela and me. Again a good breakfast. I had a quick look around the two Lake we were to fish and there were some Carp still spawning. I had decided that if I drew on Carey or pegs 112, 124,125 and 126 on Campbell  would fish for Silvers. However, if the Carp became a nuisance I would quickly switch to them.

So into the draw coffee tin and out comes peg 85 on Carey. Happy with this for Silvers as I have alway done reasonably well off it. For company I had the Happy Scaffolder - Ricky Mills on peg 86 and technical next to me Two Pots on peg 81. Couldn't help noticing how many Carp were in and around his peg. Hope he kept them there.

I set up two paste rigs - not used. Initially two Silver rigs - the faithful Ronnie rig and a 4x12 Winter Titan to fish top-set plus one. I had a bit of a surprise by how deep this peg had become. I think it may have been scoured out by the recent aerator installed on the end of the spit. So incase also set up a 4x14 to fish at two carbon tubes more. The wind was blowing debris into my peg mainly Willow Herb - bloody stuff so expected this to impact on the Ronnie rig. So simple caster and GB with some LR's incase.

Started short with the one ball of GB with some loose casters in the pot and started to loose feed casters over the top. I had a good start catching some decent Skimmers on the Ronnie rig with single caster on the hook and topping up if if faded. Whats was good no signs of a Carp whilst Two Pots was getting battered by them on paste with most ending up in his keep net - section winner already I thought. I then had a funny spell after losing a Flyer Skimmer I foul hooked four losing all of them - emotional, which I think was down to towing into them. So switched to the Titan over the same line and because I could hold against the tow (due to the aerator) I had a few 1 lb Skimmers. Once again the Roach still aren't feeding so couldn't top-up with them in between slow periods. The inside line had now died so went out longer with the same feed but with double caster and had a few more better Skimmers and foul hooked a small Carp which came off near the net, the nearest I came to touching a Carp today. With an hour to go the debris had been blown away and my bites slowed up adding only a couple of pound during this time. I tried a maggot on the hook, however, there has been an explosion of 1 oz Skimmers (good news) which would rag the maggot before it got to bottom, just too small to target at the moment.

My Silvers weighed in at 34 lb 14 oz for second in the Silvers. So mission accomplished. Plus I wasn't last in the section even though I fished for Silvers!

As I suspected the match was won by Glenn Bailey (pictured upper right with three of his Carp that weighed 51 lb) with 228 lb 14 oz from peg 81. Glenn caught out in front using paste over pellet feed on the listing lighthouse float method. Well done to him.

The Silvers was once again won by Ryan Shipp (pictured right with the match winner) with 37 lb 3 oz from Campbell peg 114. Ryan caught on corn or worm hook bait. I'm getting closer to him!

Nice day out and after a drink in Bar-Gar- Age with Bela I had to get my kit ready for next day's pairs match at Shiplate, so early to bed for me.

Result:





















Weigh Sheets:





No comments: