Monday 13 May 2019

Sunday 12/05/2019 - Tony Rixon's Short Pole - Round Two - Todber Manor - Ash and Homeground

Traveled with Glenn Bailey today aka Two Pots. We stopped in the Riverside Cafe, which wouldn't get a very high ranking on the Rixon scale.

Really looking forward to the match. I came armed with all baits for both Carp and Silvers, where I drew would determine what I used. I didn't mind where I drew but my hopes were lifted when Tony told me that with only two pegs left in the box, one was peg 90. I tried to get Dean Malin to draw one but he was a bit more forceful than me and made me draw. Yep, two matches now the peg I wanted left behind! However, peg 77 was OK.

For company I had Martyn McMahon on corner peg 76 and Martin Rayet on peg 78. From the three days I spent down here last weekend my assessment was everyone would have a low 100 lb with pegs 90 and 89 probably topping the weights.

Tim Ford had got me off to a good start in the league with a 2nd, however, it did mean I was out of the knockout through my nonattendance. So section win would be good. So I set up a Yoof for the meat and a paste rig. The plan was to start on paste at top-set in 3 1/2 foot of water over loose fed hard 4's. This is a good indicator if the Carp are around. Second try I foul hooked a Carp then next put in had a 3 lb Carp. I then had two Skimmers followed by small fish attacking the paste. It was soon apparent that it would be difficult to win the section as the two end pegs and Martin Rayet were catching well. So with a few Skimmers about I got up and set up three Silver rigs - the Ronnie, 4 metre whip and a 4x14 Winter Titan to fish top set plus one just up the inside shelf. I wasted sometime doing this and should have set these up before hand.

The wind here is strange as it keeps changing direction sometimes through 180 degrees. I think this is why peg 90 fishes so well as it has some wind irrespective of direction.

Started on the Ronnie rig with single caster over hand fed caster and started to catch Perch, Ronnies and the odd 4 oz Skimmer. Happy with this as the catch rate was reasonable. However, the wind changed and with sun now out the Ronnies disappeared. So I fed the caster in GB  which brought the usual small Tench and Skimmers. I realised I had made the right choice fishing for the Silvers because I wasn't pestered by Carp. The swim slowed so  I switched to DR's in the GB with double DR on the hook which vastly improved the Skimmer catch rate with the odd 2 lb fish. At around Carp o'clock a shoal of small Carp arrived and had ten small ones over a 15 minutes period, four breaking my hook length. I was about to fish for them with meat when I had another Skimmer. The shoal had moved on  probably after munching my GB. I stayed on this to the end. I was disappointed the Ronnies really didn't feed as well as normal which reduced my anticipated weight. That said I had a lovely days fishing.


My Silvers weighed 39 lb 8 oz and my few Carp 23 lb 12 oz for a total of 63 lb 4 oz for second in Silvers pick-up.

As I expected Deam Malin (pictured right with an ethnic Carp) won the match with 180 lb 14 oz from peg 90. Dean went 16 lb over one net, as he does to wind up Tony methinks! Dean caught initially at top-set plus two then later in his margin in the top-set all fished with banded 6's fished over loose fed hard 4's.

The Silvers was once again won by Ryan Shipp (pictured right with the Silvers runner up) with a massive 60 lb 14 oz. Ryan caught initially at top-set plus 3 (max distance allowed) fishing caster shallow. He later switched to his margin catching the big Bream on corn over corn. Ryan is certainly difficult to beat on the Silvers at this venue.

Have to say a well done to Podge for his third position today especially as he put Tony Rixon out of the knockout. Tony only one person had a bye and that was Two Pots!!

Finally spare a thought for Joe McMahon the recent Todber Manor festival winner who today came last but two. Hero to Zero!

Off to Shiplate Farm on Thursday and supporting Terry bruton memorial match at Todber on Saturday, expecting a good turnout for this angling legend.

Result:

1. Dean  Malin 180-14-0 peg 90 (HG)
2. Martin Rayet 142-06-0 peg 79 (HG)
3. Mark Jefferies 129-06-0 peg 89 (HG)

Silvers:

1. Ryan Shipp 60-14-0 peg 70 (Ash)
2. Mike Nicholls 39-08-0 peg 77 (HG)

Weigh Sheets:




















No comments: