Sunday 19 May 2019

Saturday 18/05/2019 - Terry Bruton Memorial Match - Todber Manor

Glenn and me booked into this match some weeks ago as we didn't want to miss Terry's match. When I first heard about this match I could see Terry giving me that long lasting wink when he did well in a match - which was often. The wink always lasted that bit longer when he beat me in the silvers which wasn't as often.

Great that the match was a sell out, but can't understand how an angler can expect to fish two matches on the same day?

Glenn and I stopped at Greggs for a bacon and omelette baguette, very nice.


I must say there was a strong field of Silvers Angler as well as the usual Carp Slayers. I think Terry would have classed himself as one of the latter.

Late into the draw box and out came peg 38 on Hillview. On signing the weigh sheet I found myself next to Glenn who was occupying peg 39 making this 12 hours sat next to him! No emotion just glad there was some ripple. I planned to fish for Silvers so set up the Ronnie rig, a 4 x 14 Winter Titan to fish top-set plus two and a light waggler. I did make up a paste float that didn't get used and a 4x10 Yoof to fish in 18 inches of water down the edge.


Recently I have been travelling with Martin Rayet and the McMahons and perhaps should have today - Martyn Mac peg 90, Joe Mac peg 49 and Martin R on peg 48 arguably the best three pegs on the venue?

Once set-up I noticed something strange opposite in the reeds so took a picture - googled it - apparently it was a "White Headed Meat Dipper". Not be be confused with the three Great Crested Grebes on Hillview.

I started on the Ronnie rig with caster over GB and caster and had a good 45 minutes catching a menagerie of fish, mostly small Skimmers. I did foul hook a "Big Black" which came off. I had been loose feeding casters and wondered if I brought the fish up so shallowed up and hooked a Carp, then another! So switched to the Titan this time maggot in GB and single on the hook and caught some Perch and Tench - umm. I had about 15 lb in the Silvers net and was really struggling. Unfortunately the Roach still haven't started to feed after spawning. So time to have a days fishing on the waggler with single caster over loose fed same. Although the wind was strong at times in was in my face so presentation was good. It wasn't long before I had a Carp not what I was hoping for. I did have a couple of the newbie Skimmers then a run of numerous small Carp which I gave up on due to fatigued arms. So spent the rest of the match in the margin on the Roob with double maggot over GB and maggot. A few small Rudd and more Carp - lost two lumps trying to rush them.

My few Silvers weighed 17 lb 10 oz with my total weight 80 lb 4 oz for nowhere.


The match was won by Steve Hutter (pictured upper right) with 193 lb 4 oz from peg 60. Steve caught initially on the Method then short and finally in his margins all caught on pellet.

The Silvers was won once again by Ryan Shipp (pictured right) with 66 + lb (went over the net limit) from peg 42. Ryan fished 18 inches deep at 10 metre using caster over caster. Ryan fed 7 pints of caster (I'm not feeding enough). Well done to him a great weight.

I often got a phone call on Monday nights from Terry for him to tell me how well he or son Dave had done. So I wondered what he would say this Monday - "My Dave (Terry always referred to Dave as "My Dave") did well from a poor peg nearly beating each side" RIP Matey miss you.

Thanks to son Dave for running the match which is to be an annual event. I thoroughly enjoyed the day.

The quality of this fishery speaks for itself in the results:

Result: (very close frame - best not go over in net - Nick Ewers)

1. Steve Hutter 193-04-0 peg 60
2. Joe McMahon 176-12-0 peg 49
3. Martin Rayet 164-12-0 peg 48
4. Steve Trevett 163-10-0 peg 79
5. Ashley Tompkins 162-04-0 peg 45
6. Des Shipp 161-08-0 peg 70

Silvers:

1. Ryan Shipp 66-0-0 peg 42
2. Mark Harper 43-04-0 peg 64
3. Nick Collins 43-03-0 peg 63
4. P Barnard 40-06-0 peg 87

Weigh Sheets:















































No comments: