Thursday 20 October 2016

Thursday 20/10/2016 - Harescombe Cost Cutter - Match Lake

With the onset of autumn it was time to give Harescombe another visit. After one of Andy’s large breakfast and a catch up with the regulars, time for the draw. In to the draw bag ably held by Andy’s Grandson the bag held just the right height for me. I didn’t mind where I drew so serves me right for pulling peg 5, but plenty of room.

Decided to start how I finished off from last June, remembering that I spent too long in the margin when there were steady fish to be caught out in front. So set up a 4x10 Yoof for the LH margin on the top-set and the usual 4x12 Malman F1 to fish at top-set plus one. I usually fish a section shorter but the water looked too clear to me. I fed the margin with a pot of caster and the F1 line with pellet and started over this with 4mm expander and caught three F1’s very quickly. I was surprised how these fish have put on weight. It went quite so probably made my first mistake by topping up with pellet with a dash of 6mm meat and changed the hook bait to meat. It took a while to get my next F1 and by topping up with pellet and meat combo I kept the F1’s coming steady over the match, interrupted by the odd 1lb Skimmer. I had kept loose feeding the margin with caster and went in from time to time to test for fish arrival which only resulted in one Skimmer – water too clear. I didn’t make the mistake of staying in the margin too long. However, I did forget that these matches are five hours so went in the margin late on to find I had only ten minutes left of the match so quickly switched back out and put two valuable F1’s in the net.

My few Skimmers weighed 10lb 1oz and my 26 F1’s 47lb 50z for a 57lb 6oz total and second overall. The absence of the usual nuisance small Silvers was noticeable never had any.

I have really missed fishing this venue. Be back next week for sure.

The match was won by Scotland’s Roy Liddell (pictured right) with 78lb 7oz from end peg 14. Roy caught most of his fish during the first half of the match short using triple live maggot on a 16 hooked fished over loose fed dead reds. Roy fed two pints throughout.

Full Result:

  1. Roy Liddell 78-07-0 peg 14
  2. Mike Nicholls 57-06-0 peg 5
  3. Andy Taylor 54-10-0 peg 22
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: