Friday 7 October 2016

Thursday 07/10/2016 - Amalgamation Autumn League - Round Seven - Tockenham Reservior

The Special One has twisted her knee so in two minds whether to go today, but she said it would be OK. However, it was with some trepidation and guilt that I went. So after devouring a “Pig One” and before paying the pools I rang her to check on how she was I felt a bit better to hear the swelling was going down.

It looks as if all the fish have switched into autumn mode with weights dropping everywhere. The weather reflected this with a stiff Easterly wind and the temperature first thing recording 4 degrees. It did warm up with the sun popping in and out.

In to the draw bag and out comes peg 28, not happy as it is in the corner amongst the Sedges and a Carp haven, plus I had the scales for the third time! Things soon brightened up when matey Bill Ferris arrived on peg 27. So would have some pole competition with Bill. Neither of us expected to set it alight.

I set up the Normark feeder rod but to be fair only got used during two tea breaks which resulted in  nothing, far too shallow in these pegs and impossible to reach deep water. Next I set up the Ronnie rig and a 4x18 jolly to fish at 10 metres in 6 foot of water, heavier than the depth required but sized up due to the wind blowing into me.

I started by feeding three large balls of GB laced with a few casters and dead reds at 10 metres. Potted a few casters on the Ronnie line (didn’t loose fed because worried I would dinner gong in the Carp). Started on the Ronnie rig with single caster and first put had an 8oz Perch quickly followed by an ouncer. Potted in a ball of GB with caster on this line and tried the 10 metre line with single maggot and started to catch small Ronnie’s. I then hooked what felt like a 2lb Skimmer which I pulled out of. It then went iffy getting indications on the drop which I couldn’t connect with. Back on the Ronnie rig this time with singe maggot and had a run of small fish – Rudd, Gudgeon, Perch and Ronnie’s. I then hooked a 14lb Common Carp which luckily I managed to land (upper pictured right). A pity they don’t count. By this time
Bill and I were neck and neck. Then Bill hooked and was playing something XL which when netted turned out to be a pair of underpants. Bill said it was “Scud” Jefferies pants (pictured right with his second overall weight of Skimmers). Not sure how Bill knew this, but luckily pants didn’t count today either! Bill followed this with a pound Roach. I then realised what was happening with the missed bites – liners from fish up in the water so spread the number eleven shot out and shallowed to 6 inch off bottom (where I thought they were) and kinder potted caster with again caster on the hook, a lot more liners followed until I hooked another 2lb Skimmer which came off the hook because I think it was foul hooked. I then landed a 2lb Skimmer flowed by a 1lb Roach. I now didn’t want the match to end and it wasn’t the time of day as I was getting what I now realised was liners a lot earlier in the match – bugger.

The two lost Skimmers and the penny dropping too late cost me a pick-up as I finished 7th overall with 8lb 7oz. I thoroughly enjoyed the laughs I had will Bill today he has a great sense of humour. But beat him again!! But I do hope I can still fish 3-4 times a week and catch Silvers as well as Bill when I’m 75 years old – amazing.

The match was won by John Osborne (pictured right) with 24lb 2oz from fancied peg 20. John caught on the pole at 13 metres using caster and or worm hook bait over GB lace with – well everything including micro pellet. John fed the GB mixed heavily throughout to keep the Skimmers coming.Its a pleasure fishing with this guy.

Finally with one match left I have decided to give up fishing this league and any future leagues whilst run as they are at present. Apologies go to my fishing friends. The day started with us expecting to fish the far bank only to be told it had been moved to the near bank because it was very windy over there on Tuesday!! The Dam wasn’t in again and was told it had been left out because the wind was blowing in to it!! The wind was in fact blowing from the East which was blowing from the Dam wall straight up the Lake into the pegs in the twenties where we were!! When challenged you get no discussion on the matter just told “If you don’t like it don’t fish”. I can’t see this league being that well supported next year.

Full Result:

  1. John Osborne 24-02-0 peg 20
  2. Steve Jefferies 19-12-0 peg 25
  3. John Smith 13-12-0 peg 31
  4. Pete Greenslade 11-12-0 peg 32
  5. Doug Sutton 11-05-0 peg 33
  6. Bob Black 9-12-0 peg 17
Weigh Sheets:











1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If theres one thing I dislike its organisers who take little notice of the punters. Its meant to be a day out with like minded people not 'its my way or the highway' just gets on my wick.