Sunday 23 October 2016

Sunday 23/10/2016 - Windmill Fishery Open - Match Lake

First stop the Beefeater with Bela, Geoff and Joe. Most of the discussion was around what pole Joe should buy. A cold north easterly blowing so would be far worse at the Windmill fishery and it was. I was hoping for a peg on the near side pegs 27 to 16 would do.

In to the draw box and out comes peg 24 so near side, but I had the curse of it being the Golden peg. And a curse it was. Got to the peg and had to rush back to the toilet, and only just made it. Setting up I dropped my shot pliers in the drink and got a couple of booties trying to get them out to no avail – bugger. There is an upside of getting your feet wet is when you get home and change in to dry socks and getting the lovely warm glowing feeling.

Nonetheless a decent peg. I messed about deciding which would be the best Jolly to use. I was hoping to fish up the shelf but it was far to steep especially as the tow was hard and envisaged the feed pellet only getting washed quickly down to the bottom of the shelf. So I settled on a 4x18 Jolly to fish top-set plus three in 8 foot of water at bottom of the shelf. The other rig was for my margin a 4x14 Jolly to fishing in 4 foot of water up close to the Sedges – as shallow as I could get – bloody Sedges need ripping out. I fed the margin with a few dead reds and the long line with pellet I stated on this line with 4mm expander, it took a while before I had my first small Skimmer; the tow was impairing presentation which was only to get worse due to the wind picking up. To say it was slow was an understatement. I did manage two small Carp and a 1 ½ lb Perch before trying the margin with single caster and first try I had an 8lb Mirror Carp. By feeding and switching between the two lines I kept a few Silvers coming plus the odd Carp. With ten minutes to go I hooked a 10 lb Mirror on the margin rig on double dead red which took me into the sedges but luckily I managed to get it out only to open the gape of the hook in the process and pulling out of the fish – bugger – bloody Sedges. I think this cost me second overall. The curse of the Golden peg!

My few Silvers weighed 7lb 8oz and my six Carp 28lb 10oz for a third in the match total of 36lb 2oz. Luckily they paid the top three today.

The match was won by Dave Haines (pictured right) with 67lb 5oz from peg 18. Dave caught on the straight lead over to the end of the opposite island using hair rigged pellet over loose fed pellet.

The Silvers was won by John Barker (pictured right) with 12lb 2oz which included a 2 ½ lb Perch. John fished maggot at top-set plus three over loose fed maggot.

Full Result:

  1. Dave Haines 67-05-0 peg 18
  2. Gerry Walsh 43-15-0 peg 27
  3. Mike Nicholls 36-02-0 peg 24
  4. Joe Godfrey 35-12-0 peg 29
  5. Mark Hayes 33-04-0 peg 23
  6. Jon Clark 26-10-0 peg 5
Top Silvers:

  1. John Barker 12-02-0 peg 26
  2. Jon Clark 7-10-0 peg 5
  3. Mike Nicholls 7-08-0 peg 24
Weigh Sheets:














No comments: