Sunday 30 October 2016

Sunday 30/10/2016 - Viaduct Silvers League - Round Three - Campbell, Carey and Lodge

Martin Rayet was reserving again today so wanted to follow Bela and me to the best or biggest breakfast. Bela went for Lilliput CafĂ© in Shipham and both of them went for the biggest on the menu – three of everything and more. I went for the small; they both beat me to finish with Bela “Two Chews” beating Martin “One Chew” by default only because Martin left a bit of egg. We were joined once again by Mr and Mrs.

Apparently Bela has a Groupie called Dave from London following his escapades.

The weather was overcast and flat calm and extremely mild. Bela was already sweating after eating breakfast mainly because he had full thermals on. The talk was it was going to be hard today, which suited me so I didn’t mind where I drew. In to the coffee tin and out came Carey peg 85. I was happy with the peg as it gives plenty of room. On next peg 86 was Mr “pin-up” Vince Brown and rarely do we do this but next peg on my left was Bela on crappy peg 81.

The choice for “Rig of the Day” would come from those selected pictured right. The Lake appeared to have some colour due to an Algae bloom so was hoping to catch short. I set up a long and short Ronnie rigs. Two F1’s 4x12 and a 4x10, and finally a waggler.

On the all in I Loose fed caster as far as I could through the catty spreading them all over as the plan here was to feed heavy once and fish caster and or maggot over the top. The Carp went mental for the feed which put me off fishing over it. I fed three balls of loose GB with loose casters at 11.5 metres and some wetted micro at 10 metres. However, I started on the Ronnie rig with dead reds over GB laced with Pinkie. Two bites and one micro Ronnie subsequently the Ronnie rigs were retired for the rest of the match. Out to 11.5 Metre with the 4x12 F1 with single maggot and started to catch small Ronnie’s of the drop, I switched to single caster and started to catch 2-3 oz Skimmers, however, fishing this far out was far too slow to put together a decent weight. So I set up the 4 metre whip with the old faithful mini waggler with single caster over loose fed caster I started to catch Ronnie’s which was adding more weight to the keep net because it was much quicker that the small Skimmers caught long. I then had a 2 ½ lb Perch which put up a decent fight but no match for the Drennan flick tip. The sun came out as did the leaves which curtailed fishing the whip. So out on the 10 metre line with the 4x10 F1 and 4mm expander on the hook which produced one Ronnie and another 3oz Skimmer before I hooked a Carp. It’s amazing how difficult it can be to break off 0.1 GLine. This line was abandoned for now. I continued to feed GB and caster on the long line where it was fizzing. A few more small Skimmers on caster but the returns weren’t matching the amount of activity over the GB. Never sure what’s going on beneath the waves. With 90 minutes to go (only 5 ½ hour match today) I decided to give up this line in favour of the rested and un-fed 10 metre line. Experience was now telling me to loose caster and a smidgen of chopped worm through the pot and with either double caster or a piece of worm I caught some decent Skimmers and two Tench which really boosted my weight. That said I had to go through the pain barrier with the Carp. It was feed; catch a Carp followed by one or two fish then repeat. The hook length stock was taking a hammering. The 4x10 F1 being rig of the day.

I finished the match with 21lb 1oz for 7th overall and a section by default.

The match was won by Gabe (pictured right with Mrs Gabe) with 42lb 10oz from Lodge peg 68. Gabe caught small Skimmer for the first 2 hours on expander over the Gabe GB fished at 11.5 metres. Once this died Gabe switched to 14.5 metres with pieces of worm tipped with a single fluro Pinkie fished over a different mix of GB laced with caster, worm and Pinkie. Well done matey.


And finally a sketch of the fishery Teas Maid and the tea Drinker!!

Full Result:

  1. Gabriel 42-10-0 peg 68
  2. Chris Davis 27-09-0 peg 102
  3. Tim Clark 25-14-0 peg 77
  4. Phil Harding 23-05-0 peg 100
  5. Tony Rixon 22-10-0 peg 55
  6. Glen Calvert 22-08-0 peg 69
  7. Mike Nicholls 21-01-0 peg 85
Weigh Sheets:























































No comments: