Wednesday 19 August 2015

Wednesday 19/08/2015 - Amalgamation Summer League - Round Five - Sedges Fishery - Canal

Glenn Two Pots wanted to fish today’s match so a quick call to organiser Andy Smith and he was booked in because Dave Bacon was absent, off to Ireland again!! My turn to pick up Two Pots and it was off to Hill Tops cafĂ© where half the anglers fishing today had gathered. Apparently Glenn spotted misery guts smiling.

There were a few anglers in shorts today, what were they thinking wearing them in August! Temperatures were in the low teens and rain on and off all day with 20 mph winds. I got home at 19-15 and had to put the lights on in the garage!! What’s going on, I feel sorry for the families on their annual holidays with the kids.

We walked around the Canal and fancied end peg 64 or next peg 63 which has been the winning peg so far this summer. In to the post box draw tin and out comes ping pong ball 57. And Glenn peg 64 – Umm, followed by a head shake by me.

Once again I was drawn next to Steve Jefferies on peg 56, who only asked the time once.

There wasn’t much sign of fish which with the current weather conditions wasn’t surprising. Plumbing around with a 4x12 Jolly I found a strange topography. On the 1 meter I had full depth of 4 foot which was level until 5 metres where is gradually shallowed up to 4 inches over to the far bank at 10 metres. I set up a 2x10 TBFB float for caster over in 10 inches of water, and a 0.15 gram paste float set just off the far bank set at 12 inches deep.

The Jolly was to be fished out at 1 metre and 4 metres down the peg with caster and at 5 metres out in front with semi-hard 4mm pellet fished over wetted micro. After feeding the two caster lines with a kinder pot full I started on the semis. First put in I had a 2oz Skimmer followed by a 2 pounder. I then had about six more Skimmers up to 8oz! I was get indications from tiny Skimmers which heralded the time to switch to double caster over. With a few more kindered caster I had another two pound Skimmer followed by a run of smaller ones to 1 pound. I then hooked a Carp which shed the hook playing it under the top-set – bugger. I then switch to pieces of worm over the caster and had three Perch to 12oz. The swim then died so put two big pots of micro in, to keep an eye open for any fizzing so to introduce the paste. Now down the near side with double caster expecting some more silvers only to catch a 4lb Common Carp. Fed some more casters and hooked another Carp which did me in the Bull Rushes which needed another 4x12 Jolly only for the same to happen again – double bugger. I then had four more small Skimmers before spying a fizz over the far bank so a switch to the paste and a 4 lb Common was soon in the keepnet. That was it the swim completely died.

My Silvers weighed 10lb 9oz for a Silvers win and my two Common Carp helped me to 5th overall with 18lb 9oz.

The match was won by Glenn Bailey – Umm (Selfie pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 66lb 2oz from end peg 64. Glenn initially caught over to the point of the island under the overhanging tree using hair rigged banded 6mm pellet fished over pellet, later switching to paste in to the end bank, which coincided with a few Carp doing him in the Bull Rushes. The Carp in this lake are all in pristine condition as shown in the pictured right of some of Two Pots net.

Another car double bubble.

Full Result:

  1. Glenn Bailey 66-02-0 peg 64
  2. Norman Huggett 26-02-0m peg 44
  3. John Smith 22-13-0 peg 47
  4. Mark Bellringer 22-09-0 peg 63
  5. Mike Nicholls 18-09-0 peg 57
  6. Pete turner 17-02-0 peg 60
Top Silvers:

  1. Mike Nicholls 10-09-0 peg 57
  2. Andy Smith 9-05-0 peg 42
  3. Mark Bellringer 6-05-0 peg 4
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: