Sunday 2 August 2015

Sunday 02/08/2015 - Tony Rixon's Float Only League - Round Five - Sedges Fishery - Brick and Tile Lakes

Once Chris Davis arrived at the Hill Tops café we all were in for a right laugh, Chris told the story about the “Mic Night” he was invited too by Mike Etheridge and Dave Downton. You may forgive Chris in thinking it was a right piss-up followed by a turn on the Mic. Alas not, arriving at the lodge where a few other anglers had gathered, Chris was faced with a stack of various fishing lines, a spread sheet and a Micrometer. Not for Chris Shipp I think. Plenty of other banter from Chris in the café pursued.

Arrived at the fishery in plenty of time for a walk around the Lakes with the main focus on Tile Lake (the one with the three Tits), which was the Lake I was hoping to draw pegs 40 and 21caught my eye.

In to the draw bag hoping not to draw peg 20 again and out comes peg 19, can’t come closer to peg 20 than this. The peg was reserved for Steve Segar, who I passed on my experience from Thursday suggesting he fished 16 metres pass the tree to the end bank and use the waggler. It is a difficult peg, Steve took it in good spirit which to me shows the quality of angler – anyone can catch them when they are there and some moan when there not – not Steve he got on with it.

I set up a paste rig for 5 metres in 9 foot of water. The Ronnie Rig and a 4x 16 Jolly I used Thursday to be fished at 9 metres also in 9 foot. I started by feeding the 5 metre paste line with a kinder full on soften fours. I then feed two balls GB laced with maggot, micro, caster and a smidgen of chop worm. I also started to loose feed the Ronnie rig with caster. I started on the paste hoping for and early Carp whist the GB settled. I wasn’t disappointed as second put-in I had a five pound Carp. I then foul hooked a Carp. The Nibblers then became a nuisance, so I put on the double maggot on the 4x 16 Jolly and I had a run of Skimmers and a one pound Eel, unfortunately the swim soon died.

I had a go for the Ronnie but after 3lb they disappeared, primarily due to the sun and the becalming on the peg. The next three hours were difficult to say the least just adding a few small Skimmers, even though I kept topping the 9 metres line with the laced GB. Most anglers were now struggling. I had a walk and Clayton Hudson was probably winning the section with 18lb, just piping me.

I had now given up winning the section because Clayton had started catching Carp short, so I focussed on the Silvers. After continually feeding the laced GB it wasn’t until the last 45 minutes that I hooked what I thought was a huge Eel (more hope than judgement) which turned out to be a 10lb Carp with the line wrapped around it’s pectoral fin confusing it and me.

I then had a rush of Skimmers not being able to fish fast enough, wanting another 15 minutes or so to fish them out – bugger I hate leaving fish in the swim.

I packed up and left both nets well up the bank, I then did the photograph walk to peg 11. On returning my Carp net was missing. I wasn’t too worried about losing the Carp but would have liked to know what the biggy weighed. With the aid of soon to become Plummer Leon Hubbard I did manage to get the net out which was my biggest worry. Leon did hand me the bottom of the keep net so they were well gone. It didn’t matter as I came second in the section with my two Carp not improving my placing.

My Silver luckily was still in the net which weighed 30lb 5oz for a Silvers second pick-up. Mission accomplished – nearly.

The match was won by Mike Walker (pictured right with some of his catch) with 187lb 4oz from in form peg 11. Mike caught in to his end margin at 14.5 metres using 8mm hair rigged banded pellet in four foot of water. Mike initially started feeding 8’s but caught much better feeding 4’s.

I was piped in the Silvers by matey Vic Bush (no shame here - pictured right with his catch) with 33lb 5oz from peg 14. Vic caught on CWM&C with worm on the hook.

Arriving home the "Special One" was suspicious about my behavior, Bela came to the rescue explaining I was suffering from sun stroke - not sure that explanation worked but a good try matey.

Full Result:

  1. Mike Walker 187-04-0 peg 11
  2. Nick Chedzoy 146-11-0 peg 10
  3. Gary O’Shea 133-01-0 peg 31
  4. Chris Davis  119-11-0 peg 34
  5. Tony Rixon 114-09-0 peg 12
  6. Tim Ford 88-03-0 peg 40
Top Silvers:

  1. Vic Bush 33-05 -0 peg 14
  2. Mike Nicholls 30-06-0 peg 19
  3. Leon Hubbard 19-02-0 peg 15
Weigh Sheets:








































No comments: