Thursday 6 August 2015

Thursday 06/08/2015 - Tony Rixon Cost Cutter - Avalon

With “Two Pots” Bailey today who arrived early. Apparently Glenn had run out of 4mm pellet and needed to buy his fourth sack this year so wanted two pints from me to see him through the day, isn’t seven pints enough!! It was breakfast in Shipham then on to the venue.

Initially the weather was a chilly mizzle, however, the sun soon came out and the wind dropped warming us up.

A better turn out for Tony with 15 booked in so we were on the west bank. In to the draw bag and out comes disc 5, happy with this one as I drew it first match and won the Silvers with Skimmers using semi - hards over kindered micros.

I have now been prescribed glasses at the age of 66 for both long and short sightedness. I must say it makes fishing long much better, but won’t be fishing over 13 metres anytime soon.

After yesterday’s match where I thrashed about for tiny Ronnie for most of the day I was knackered and therefore didn’t fancy a repeat. So I thought I would fish for the big Skimmers with CW&C for which I set up a 4x16 Jolly. I did sneak up the Ronnie rig just in case!!

I started by feeding the 7 metre line with CW&C and went over it with a piece of worm, nothing. I decided to pick up the Ronnie rig and the Ronnie thrashing started until I spied some fizzing, which didn’t take long so back out on the worm and I had two 8oz Skimmers and a tiny Perch before the fizzing stopped. I re-fed and went back Ronnie trashing. Soon another fizz and back out on the worm and one more 8oz Skimmer and a Rudd. Bugger this for expense even though I am still fishing with the worms kindly donated by Chris Davis.

I decided to do a Two Pots and fed the rest of my bait table (excluding caster) on the 7 metre line. A humongous fizz started so I went over it with double worm – Nothing! In case the fizz was Skimmers I set up a paste rig and first try had a 5lb 12oz common Carp. I abandoned this line, so back on the Ronnie thrashing for the rest of the match. I was really tired and I slowed quicker than the Ronnie’s.

I finished the match with 22lb 1oz of Ronnie’s and Rudd for 5th in the Silvers plus the Common Carp for a total 27lb 13oz. Why didn’t I fish semi-hard pellets over kindered micro – I don’t know!! It might have been better today as the Skimmers seem to back off heavy feed.

The match and the Silvers were won by “Two Pots” (pictured lower centre with some of his catch) with a total of 153lb 8oz from unfancied peg 22. Glenn caught on his favoured paste at 13 metres and later short at 7 metres. His accidental Silvers of 26lb 4oz were also caught on paste with a good few falling to the paste on the drop. Glenn used all of his feed bait!!


Full Result:

  1. Glenn Bailey 153-08-0 peg 22
  2. Mike West 85-03-0 peg 9
  3. Adrian Jeffery 72-10-0 peg 16
  4. Gary Flinders 72-05-0 peg 19
  5. Tony Rixon 69-10-0 peg 1
  6. Ray White 66-09-0 peg 6
Top Silvers:

  1. Glenn Bailey 26-04-0 peg 22
  2. Ziggy 25-08-0 peg 12
  3. Mike Jones 25-0-0 peg 20
  4. Tony Rixon 22-02-0 peg 1
  5. Mike Nicholls 22-01-0 peg 5
Weigh Sheet:

No comments: