Sunday 16 August 2015

Sunday 16/08/2015 - Landsend Open - Match and Walters Lakes

Bela having issues with his back cried off and took the time to get his feet further under the table of his new girl friend. With Tim Ford on the river I travelled down with Two Pots Bailey.

First stop Shipham CafĂ© where most of the anglers feasting were off to a venue called Cheddar Clay Pits. According to Andy France I wouldn’t like it there as it’s full of Skimmers – even so it would be nice to get an invite!

We arrived at the fishery in plenty of time. With the match spread over Match and Walters Lake where I was hoping to be on. I was near first in to the draw tin and out comes Carp Slayers peg 7 on Match Lake. Not where I wished to be. Rod Wotton who had drawn peg 5 came down and gave some sound advice, explaining that the RH margin was best fished at 5 metres, also confirming it was a Carp peg with little to no Silvers to fish for. The peg was also the shallowest on the Lake, with the deepest part being three foot at 7 metres. The Lake’s water level was well down which didn’t help the cause.

Even though I couldn’t expect many Silvers I still set up a 4x12 Jolly to fish at 7 metres with semi-hard pellets. Then a 0.3 gram PC paste float to fish over the same line, finally a 0.15 PC paste float to fish down the margin at 5 metres in 18 inches of water.

I had the intention to keep the feed down such that I didn’t cause any fizzing. First put in over a few micros I foul hooked a decent Carp. I then had a run of five F1 – Silvers which were giving some strange bites. I then had a couple of Skimmers. That was it, now into the third hour and with only14lb of Silvers in the net and three more foul hooked Carp. I had to make a decision – carrying on with the Silvers by getting the casters and Ronnie rig out or carry in trying to get the Carp to take it in the mouth!! Tony and Andy on opposite pegs were bagging with Carp, but with plenty of Carp on show in my peg and still the margin to have a go at I left the Ronnie rig on the winder. In to the margin with paste over hard 4’s and I had four Carp in four puts-ins, I then another foul hooked another Carp which heralded the end of the margin even though I kept feeding it there wasn’t any more sign of Carp. I went back out with paste on the 7 metre line and after a frustrating run of foul hooked Carp it wasn’t until the last hour that they started to have it in the mouth.

I finished the match with 14lb of Silvers 11 lost foul hookers (not proud of this) and 16 in the mouth for 90lb 4oz for a 7th overall total weight of 104lb 4oz.

The match was won by Trigger (pictured below centre with both the Silvers winners from both Lakes) with 254lb 4oz from Walters’ peg 50. Craig caught on 8mm hair rigged banded pellet over loose fed pellet with most of his fish from his margin. Craig fed about a pint of pellet throughout the match.


The Silvers were spread over the two Lake with Rod Wotton winning Match Lake with 26lb 2oz from peg 5. Rod caught on various hook baits – Meat and Pellet over Micro/GB and over neat micro. John Bradford won the Silvers on Walter’s Lake with 20lb 8oz from peg 42. John caught on soft pellet over micro.

Full Result:

  1. Craig Edmonds 254-04-0 peg 50
  2. Tony Rixon 188-15-0 peg 17
  3. Andy Hembrow 179-01-0 peg 19
  4. Paul Elmes 147-02-0 peg 13
  5. Dave Roper 143-07-0 peg 55
  6. Glenn Bailey 141-04-0 peg 46
  7. Mike Nicholls 104-04-0 peg 7
Top Silvers:

  1. Rod Wotton 26-02-0 peg 5 (match Lake Winner)
  2. Gordon Canings 24-02-0 peg3
  3. John Bradford 20-08-0 peg 42 (Third Lake Winner)
Weigh Sheets:




No comments: