Thursday 10 April 2014

Thursday 10/04/2014 - Bathampton AA - Over 55's and Disabled - With Pool

After a Flying start breakfast with Bob Warren at ASDA where the lovely waitress Wendy melted my butter - for the toast, it was off to Withy. With the school kids home for Easter holidays the roads were very quiet.

We had 31 fishing today so plenty of pegs that are normally left out would be in the draw. I left it late to draw with only two counters left in the bag. I pulled peg 38, where’s that? This peg is not normally in but I wasn’t too worried as I have always fancied fishing it.

You can never choose your peg but you always choose how you fish it. I decide quite wrongly that it would be an out and out Carp attack neglecting the Silvers. I set up a full depth 0.5 gram Silverfox PC paste rig to be fished at six metres at 1-o-clock. I set up another 0.15 gram paste rig for the RH margin.

I started on the deep rig with paste over a few half hard 4’s and a dash of micro. I started to get indications from Silvers straight away spearing a few small Skimmers, landing a 2lb fish. So much for ignoring the Silvers. I quickly set up a 4x12 jolly margin caster rig and a 4x16 jolly to fish over the 6 metre paste line. Fishing half hard 4’s on the hook I caught a few more tiny Skimmers and one about 1 ½ pound. Because I was kindering 4’s I had a swirl from a Carp up in the water which appeared to kill the swim.

I had been feeding casters in the margin and tried paste over it initially and had a 12lb Carp first put in. After this I struggled for a bite for the next 3 hours as did most anglers I could see so went for a walk to ease the stiff legs.

I came back and tried all the swims again and foul hooked a 8ox Ronnie on the paste in the margin which fell off. So I switched to caster and believe it or not I foul hooked a Carp which came off. I did have a couple of Ronnie’s before with 15 minutes left I tried the paste which resulted in another 12lb Carp.

My Silvers weighed 5lb 10oz and my two Carp 25lb 2oz for a total of 30lb 12oz for 5th overall and last in the money.

I now wish I had fished for Silvers in my normal way before going for the Carp – bugger.

The match was won by Paul Dicks (pictured right) with 148lb 4oz from peg 61. Paul caught 16 Carp shallow on the pellet waggler as did 2nd and 3rd placed anglers.

The Silvers was won by Barry Fitchew (pictured right with his catch) with 14lb 3oz from peg 35. Barry caught short at 5 metres fishing caster over GB.

Full Result:

  1. Paul Dicks 148-04-0 peg 61
  2. Paul Haines 98-14-0 peg 47
  3. Bob Price 46-06-0 peg 48
  4. Harry Muir 30-13-0 peg 74
  5. Mike Nicholls 30-12-0 peg 38
  6. Martin Alexander 28-02-0 peg 53
Top Silvers:

  1. Barry Fitchew 14-03-0 peg 35
  2. Gary Sage 12-14-0 peg 54
  3. Mike Jones 9-0-0 peg 58
Weigh Sheets:




No comments: