Monday 21 April 2014

Sunday 21/04/2014 - Avon Angling Pole Only Top Six League - Round One - Chilton Trinity - Woodlands

Bela is now back fishing; however, he had a late night out with Stella so I offered to drive the Thunder-drone. First stop was Hill Tops CafĂ©. Bela couldn’t decide between the “Bertie” Buster or the largest breakfast, Over the “Roof”. The big breakfast it was then, plus one of my sausages.

Arriving at the fishery it was clear that the near bank wasn’t the place to draw is you didn’t want to suffer hyperthermia, a bitter North Easterly was blasting the higher number pegs. In to the draw container and out comes peg 19. I was happy with this peg although Chris Fox tried to put me off, explaining that the guy who fished the peg Friday DNW’ed.

For company on peg 20 I had Mike West the Wedmore pellet blaster. Half way through the match Mike said he thought the sun might break through. Five minutes later it went pitch black unable to see my float. What happened next is shown in the picture below. Mike’s predictions are at least as good as the BBC.


Bela drew peg 29 facing smack into the wind. Stella had fooled him to thinking it was a warm day until mid match when Bela realised he was dressed for summer and not a winter’s day. Bela retired early from the match to the warm Thunder-drone, DNW’ing!!

I set up two rigs the usual Ronnie rig and a Silverfox PC paste float for the LH margin which was ideal for my type of fishing.

I started on the Ronnie rig with single caster over loose fed caster expecting a bit from a Silver first put in. However, do indications at all a bit of a worry. The I hooked a 8lb Carp in the tail which because I was high and back from the Lake edge I had a nightmare trying to land it, but land it I did. I had another two Carp this time in the mouth. With still no sign of any Silvers I switched to the paste over loose fed hard 4’s and landed a four Carp. All this in the first hour of the match and with 35lb in the net I did the maths and realised that this wouldn’t continue. I was right for the next two hours I didn’t have another Carp with the Ronnie’s turning up I fished for them for twenty minutes and put 2lb 9oz in the net. Carrying on with them wouldn’t win any coin. On the walk around the Lake before the draw I had noticed that there were more than normal fish feeding on the bottom with very few splashing around up in the water as usual. And where were the Ronnie’s earlier on. The answer they were down the shelf in the bottom where the Carp had sloped off to. I think the cold winds that have been blowing over the past week or so had cooled the margin.

So I jumped up and set up a full depth paste rig and in the last ninety minutes added another six Carp. If only!!

My 13 Carp weighed 75lb 3oz giving a total of 77lb 12oz for a section win and fifth overall.

The match was won by Paul Elmes (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 111lb 9oz from peg 6. Paul caught most of his fish from his RH margin using pellet over pellet.
The Silvers was won by Tom Mangnall with 26lb 8oz from peg 11. Tom caught decent Skimmers on 6mm expander over hard 4’s and 6’s.

Full Result:

  1. Paul Elmes 111-09-0 peg 6
  2. Craig Edmonds 107-14-0 peg 13
  3. Chris Fox 85-15-0 peg 7
  4. Steve Seagar 78-15-0 peg 8
  5. Mike Nicholls 77-12-0 peg 19
  6. Tony Rixon 72-05-0 peg 9
Top Silvers:

  1. Tom Mangnall 26-08-0 peg 11
  2. Joe McMahon 13-12-0 peg 17
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: