Thursday 13 March 2014

Thursday 13/03/2014 - Bathampton AA/Veals Silvers Championship - Round Six - Bridge Pool

What ever happened to the two week heat wave promised last weekend? The last few days have been exceptionally cold. The only difference today was we had fog until 13:00, which was suppose to clear in to a bright day, this didn’t materialise either!

My drawing skills haven’t been too good of late to the amusement of some. In to the draw bag and out comes bloody peg 32 again – to more laughter. Apparently if I draw this peg next match I will be given the peg for life – let’s hope not!!

I set up just the one usual Jolly rig, to be fished at 5 metres and 10 metres, both swims at 1 o clock. Preparing my GB I noticed I had brought the wrong mix which was a bit too light for the depth of this venue so had to over wet it. I fed both lines with GB with a mix of Pinkie and caster. However, because of the fog I had to start at 5 metres with double Pinkie on the hook. I was soon catching the small Ronnie’s that inhabit this peg. I tried single and double dead red and caster but caught the same stamp of fish, so I went back on the Pinkie because I was caching the blighters quicker. I then had a 2lb Tench.

I noticed hat the fish didn’t have any GB in their mouths so I started to kinder in Pinkie over the top and had a run of better Ronnie’s and five small Skimmers. The swim slowed so I tried the long line noticing that there was a fish blowing over it. I had another small Skimmer and a tiny Ronnie. I was half expecting to catch a Carp, alas not. There was also a Carp taking interest in my Pinkie 5 metre line, so I tried over it again but no Carp or Silvers. I struggled for the last hour just adding a few tiny Ronnie’s. If it wasn’t for these small fish many anglers would struggle for a bite.

I weighed 9lb 11oz for 5th overall and a section by double default. Matey Dave Gillard did his usual big Bream act catching one again on next peg 33 netting a 4lb 7oz darky.

Paul Barnfield put his foot in his mouth when, due to him being battered both sides announced “I feel like a rose between two thorns”. Charlie Barnes in his inevitable manner quickly retorted “No, you’re the Prick in the middle”. Quite a few of us nearly fell off our boxes with laughter. Charlie has still got it!!

Mike Keys did catch but was unwell and had to go home. Get well for the last match matey.

The match was won by Paul Dicks (pictured right with the Accidental Carp winner) on peg 28 with 19lb 12oz. Paul caught at 10 and 5 metres using maggot/caster over GB laced with caster, maggot and micro pellet.

The Accidental carp was won by Snowy Greenslade with two Carp for 28lb 8oz from peg 21. Snowy had one on maggot accidentally and the other not so accidental!

Full Result:

  1. Paul Dicks 19-12-0 peg 28
  2. Ray Bazeley 18-06-0 peg 30
  3. Dave Wride 16-13-0 peg 4
  4. Dave Gillard 11-09-0 peg 33 Incl; 4lb 7oz Bream
  5. Mike Nicholls 9-11-0 peg 32
  6. Bill Ferris 8-0-0 peg 16
Accidental Carp:

  1. Pete “ Snowy” Greenslade 28-08-0 peg 21
  2. Paul Haines 15-14-0 peg 24
Weigh Sheets:



















No comments: