Sunday 16 March 2014

Sunday 16/03/2014 - Ivy House Open - Match Lake

On my own today as Bela doing some DIY on his house. It was a nice steady drive up with the round trip taking 1 hour 30 minutes and 57 miles. What a change since I was here a coupe of weeks ago. New platforms and more importantly Laird Lloyd has cut down all the trees that were closer than 15 metres to the lake. This is a sensible move with the fishing benefiting from not having the yearly down pour of leaves. I decided on the medium breakfast which was more than enough for me which I thoroughly enjoyed and was piping hot, which won’t suit Bela’s warp speed. It was a good turn out of 28. It was time to go in to the draw bag ably held by Karen. Out comes peg 46 on the spit.

It was a very bright day with wall to wall sunshine with a Northerly wind. Luckily it was off my back. However, it was flat calm in front put to 14 metres. Having plumbed around a 4x16 Jolly I found the shelf at 5 metres which only varied a couple of inches out to 10 metres. I though the shelf would give me some cover. I also depth marked the float for 10 metre. Because all the pegs were in along my bank the margin didn’t look appetising, especially when Red on next peg decided to fish the waggler standing up. Nonetheless I half heartily set up a margin float a 0.3 gram Silverfox PC. I did try it with paste but didn’t give it long enough.

I started on 3mm expander over kindered micro at 5 metres and had a good start landing four quick Stockies and a 3 lb oldie. The swim then died, so I went out on the 10 metre line again with soft pellet where I had been kindering hard fours. The presentation wasn’t good because I had to hold back the float due to the wind. I didn’t get a bite over this line. So back at 5 metres over the micro and I had two Skimmers in two put ins – happy days – not - because that was it for the Silvers. Both Red and Steve Hutter started to catch at 14. 5 metres. I felt I was being cut off and was now falling behind. So I decided to have a play with my 16mm soft pellet (aka Paste – that’s caught Glenn Bailey’s attention) at 13 metres over micro in the hope I might catch some more Skimmers. Alas not just another six Stockies. My two Skimmers weighed 4lb 11oz and my small Carp 19lb 7oz for a total of 24lb 2oz.

I couldn’t believe that Ralph on peg 13 was catching big Carp shallow at 16 metres, which Red on next peg did landing 3 decent Carp to 10lb.

The match was won by Mick Dale (pictured upper right with some of his catch) with 57lb 14oz from corner peg 31. Mick caught at 14.5 metres to his end bank using 6mm banded pellet over potted hard 4’s. Mick fed about 1 pint through out. Mick was helped by the wind blowing in to this corner.

The Silvers was won by Ralph Hillie (pictured right) with 10lb 4oz from peg 4. His catch was made up of four decent Skimmers and three small versions. Ralph caught on 3mm expander pellet over micro at 10 metres.

Full Result:

  1. Mick Dale 57-14-0 peg 31
  2. Jud 44-11-0 peg 8
  3. John Cambridge 40-15-0 peg 11
  4. Ralph Hillie 40-14-0 peg 13
  5. C Timms 39-10-0 peg 6
  6. Steve Hutter 38-02-0 peg 47
Top Silvers:

  1. Terry Rob 10-04-0 peg 4
  2. Dave Young 10-0-0 peg 36
  3. Sam 7-08-0 peg 15
Weigh Sheet:



No comments: