Thursday 6 March 2014

Thursday 06/03/2014 - Bathampton AA/Veals Silvers Championship - Round Five - Bridge pool

I was feeling a bit jaded this morning after yesterdays silvers bagging match. The draw was dome for the last eight on the knockout and I drew Dave Wride which perked me up a bit. Unfortunately I pulled peg 4 which has been a struggle all year, with Dave Wride on peg 31 which Mike Jones came second on last match I was up against it. However, I’m always optimistic with the desire to get the best out of the peg.

With the weather forecast as a balmy 15 degrees with some light rain later I decided to fish at 10 metres with the usual 4x16 jolly. So it was the usual GB (with a few Pinkies and caster and double Pinkie hook bait attack. Unfortunately for me the BBC got it wrong AGAIN. The high gusting winds was cold, blowing through the gap from Withy. Although I had a few Ronnie’s and a couple of small Skimmers my presentation wasn’t that good once the fish started to graze. Unfortunately I decided to try a fight the wind until half way in to the match when I succumbed to switching lines to 8 metres down the peg so the wind was more behind me blowing down the pole. I fed the same and was able to present better holding the float back against the wind. I caught a few better Skimmers losing one about 2lb and a Perch about 1lb the wind didn’t help. I foul hooked a Carp on the drop and another in the mouth not long after which after a tussle in the wind the hooked pulled.

Dave was opposite and I thought I had given him a run for his money. I weighed 8lb 3oz which I was pleased with from the peg; however, Dave weighed 10lb 12oz, close enough for me. This put me 7th overall and a section second.

The match was by my drinking partner Dave Gillard (pictured right with the accidental Carp winners) with 13lb 12oz from un-fancied peg 19. Dave caught on double red maggot over potted micro fished at 13 metres towards peg 20. Dave fed 4 quarter pots of micro throughout. A very popular winner.

It was a draw for the Accidentals with Paul Haines and Bob Price both returning 26lb 4oz.

Unfortunately for Barry Fitchew he loose feed his treasured wrist watch in to his swim. Which reminded me of when I drew one above the fence in to the corn field on the Crane, a good draw. However, whilst shaking off the GB from my hands my wedding flew in to the river. The Special One was somewhat displeased and it wasn't until many years later after her lovely Mum passed that I got presented with a new ring, her Mums. So for penance I now wear the Mother-laws wedding ring. 

Full Result:

  1. Dave Gillard 13-12-0 peg 19
  2. Paul Dicks 13-02-0 peg 17
  3. Mike Jones 12-0-0 peg 7
  4. Ade Crawley 11-0-0 peg 24
  5. Dave Wride 10-12-0 peg 31
  6. Chris Rolfe 10-10-0 peg 18
  7. Mike Nicholls 8-03-0 peg 4
Accidental Carp:

  1. Paul Haines peg 16 & Bob Price peg 30 Both 26-04-0
 Weigh Sheets:

No comments: