Sunday 21 August 2011

Sunday 21/08/2011 - Avon Angling open - Shiplate Fishery - Hawthornes and Westpool

Finally I booked in for a match at Shiplate Farm: I think it was (until now) a well guarded secret venue for both match and pleasure fishing. The venue is located at the foot of the Mendips, just past the Webbington Hotel on the left (plenty of memorable hangovers from this venue). See fishery website:

http://www.shiplatefisheries.co.uk/shiplatefisheries/Welcome.html

As usual Bela and I arrived early and walked the two Canals – Hawthorne’s and Westpool. I didn’t mind where I drew except peg 15 of Hawthorne’s – how wrong could one be? – My excuse is that I am a virgin of the venue.
Both Canals are shown right (Westpool uppermost)


Into the draw bag and out comes two peg stuck together so I put both back and redraw peg 3 on Westpool – the Skimmer Canal– that will do then.

The venue reminded me a bit of Hillview Fishery (one for Terry King and his club for next year). I was pleased with the draw but found I was sandwiched between Chub Head and Steptoe (pictured right landing his first of four Carp) so it was continuous banter for all six hours with me acting as the translator.

Having chatted with the anglers that had fished it before and getting mixed messages I decided on a soft pellet approach so set a 4 x 14 Jolly. Plumbing around I found that there was a very narrow channel down the middle, about 12 inches wide and 5 footish deep at 10 metres. So I decided to fish just up the slope from this channel (first mistake). I also set up a 4x12 Jolly to be fished just down the inside margin in 3 foot of water. On the whistle I fed some micro with a dash of red maggot on the 10 metres line, but started on the top set with triple red maggot over loose fed micro and red maggot. I missed a bite first cast before I hooked a 4oz Skimmer. Chub Head then lashed in handfuls of expander pellet on the same line and that was the end on this line for quite a while. Out on the long line with 3mm expander and had four more 4oz Skimmers that was it for the next three hours. I played about with paste on both lines, but it was clear that the fish weren't interested in fish meal of any description. It wasn’t fishing that well except for the two farthest two pegs, 9 and 10. I decided on a Banana walk with Ron Hardiman (he’s still turning up on the odd occasion) down to Hawthorne. It appeared that everyone was struggling. I had a chat with Martin Alexander who explained that he had caught late on Westpool by continually feeding 6mm pellet and GB at 5 metres. I went back and fed (balled all over the swim) 2 kg of Magic GB on the 10ish metre line to the consternation of anglers around me (if the heat in the kitchen is too hot, etc…). It was apparent that most fish were coming to the CW&C so I scrounged a hand full of caster from Chris Davis (a first). With the few near death worms I had left from the Trinity match I added pole to take me to 13 metes which necessitated swallowing up 8 inches. I then had a run of Skimmers to 4lb, but it was all too late. Last cast I did have a 5lb 8z Ghost Carp. My Skimmers weighed 13lb 2oz for fifth in the Silvers, giving a not so grand total of 18lb 10oz for not last overall nor was I battered both sides which looked on the cards until the last cast!

The match was won by Tony Rixon pictured right landing his third Carp - and with half his winning bag of 99lb 12oz from the peg I didn’t want to draw on Hawthorne’s!! Tony fished caster over to the far …see his blog.

The Silvers was won by Chris Fox (pictured lower right) from peg 9 on Westpool with a creditable 52lb 4oz of Skimmers and Bream. Chris fished … see his blog. If there was a man of the match award it would have gone to Chris who fished a good match.

This is one of the venues that I would pleasure fish especially the Main Lake where there are Bream to 14lb and plenty of Grass Carp - another of my favourite fish.

Full Result:

1. Tony Rixon 99-12-0 peg 15
2. Bela Bakos 53-08-0 peg 4
3. Chris Fox 52-04-0 peg 9 Westpool
4. Dean Malin 44-04-0 peg 14
5. Richard Heatley 42-10-0 peg 10 Westpool
6. Andy Bryant 41-04-0 peg 13

Top Silvers:

1. Chris Fox 52-04-0 peg 9
2. Chris Davis 27-0-0 peg 2
3. Adrian Jefferies 25-04-0 peg 5

1 comment:

Silverfox Match Angling said...

A copy of an email from matey Kevin

Hi Mike, had a good day yesterday, went up to Larford Lakes to watch
the match this final which Andy Power won. Fished a good match on the
bomb and pellet beating Jamie Hughes into second. Phil Briscoe the
maver boss was on the microphone doing the commentary and it was
obvious he wanted a maver man to win; thankfully a local lad did the
business. I never backed him as he was not happy with his peg and did
not give himself much chance.
On the whole maver did not put on a very good show in my view. They
had a marquee up with tackle which to me looked like end of line stuff
they could not shift. Held the elite 88 pole and upset the maver rep
by saying how incredibly heavy it was a 16 metres, was not going to
lie to the man.
Undoubted highlight of the day was the massive row between Phil
Briscoe and his drunken daughter after the match in front of lots of
people.
From an angling view, you may find this hard to believe but having
watched some of the top men; my overriding view is that they did not
do anything that I could not do with a bit of practice. The one thing
that does stand out is how often they were feeding, even Andy on the
bomb was constantly feeding. Des Shipp sat on a method all match, even
fishing it at 5 metres.
Cheers
Kevin