Sunday 30 August 2009

Sunday 31/08/2009 - Tony Rixon Float Only Individual League - Round Six - Viaduct Fishery

Today was the last of Rip Off’s Float Only League. Having missed one match (holiday) and had two bad results at Landsend I was well out of the running for the League. However, there is always some coin to fish for. Viaduct is a venue that you need to draw before you can prepare your mind as pegs widely vary, you often see after the draw anglers running to the shop for casters, ground bait. pellet, etc... and some selling casters – I was offered two pints for £5 by Joe Thompson who had drawn peg 66 on Lodge!

Tim Clark had drawn opposite me on peg 72. Tim slipped again on the pallet landing head first on his top sets smashing the lot, including his chin, (Tim fell in Campbell on the first league match and broke his pole). Tim weighed 90lb 6oz, but still had to hand over £1 to Rip Off. If only Tim could keep his balance and fish the whole six hours I am sure he could cancel his direct debit!!


I drew peg 60 on Lodge. After a quick chat with Paul Greenwood and Paul Garrett I decided my best option for coin would be the Silvers pool. It was unlikely that I could win the match, the heaviest fish (probably Cary - and it was a 21lb 4oz Carp caught by Bryan Shanks) or win my section as Gary Wall had drawn corner peg 53 in my section. So the plan was to start after the Ronnie’s on the 3.5 metre whip with caster, then Skimmers with expander pellet over ground bait (laced with half a pint of micro) at 10 metre with the option of Paste and a right hand margin rig with paste for Carp later. I Potted 250 ml of micro in to the RH margin, I followed that up with three balls of GB at 10 metre, but started on the whip with caster. I knew within one minute that the Ronnie’s weren’t going to feed, which also meant the Skimmers probably wouldn’t either, but it did mean that I could fish soft expanders without them getting chewed by Ronnie’s. So out to 10 metre and first put in I lost a foul hooked Carp. I then had a good run of Skimmers/Bream to 3lb on both 4 and 6mm expander, within 15 minutes I reckoned I had 10lb – looking good! The swim then died, so in went another four balls. I picked off the odd Skimmer but it became very hard. I then had a 9lb Carp, which completely killed off the Skimmers. I noticed that Gary Wall was catching well; I am now thinking Silvers wasn't going to get that coin, but perhaps a section by default? So a change of tactics and with an hour or so to go in to the RH margin with paste, which resulted in another four decent Carp to 12lb, plus I pulled out of one and another broke me (might have been foul hooked). My five Carp weighed 46lb 3oz and the Silvers went 16lb 1oz for a total of 62lb 4oz. This put me seventh in the Silvers (no coin), but landed me the section by default to Gary Wall (pictured top right with his fourth place weight of 130lb) and a pick up of £35.


I had better mention that the Gimp was technically next to me on peg 62 and was quick to let me know that he had beaten me in the Silvers by 7oz!

The match was won by Dick Bull (pictured right) from Campbell peg 115 with 160lb 1oz. Dick fished 8mm banded hard pellet at 14.5 metres, catching 50/50 on the deck and up in the water. Dick loose fed three pints of 8mm pellet over the top.

The Silvers was won by Jerry Pocock (pictured bottom right) with 34lb 9oz of Skimmers and Bream from Carey peg 103. Jerry caught on the messy business (CW&C) at 13 metres. Apparently Jerry fed 3/4 kilo of Worm, 3 pints of casters and 2 kilo of GB - £28 of bait - thanks to Martyn Rayett!!

Full Result:


1. Dick Bull 160-01-0 peg 115
2. Ryan Jordan 147-13-0 peg 116
3. Anton Page 130-09-0 peg 134
4. Gary Wall 130-07-0 peg 53
5. Neil Mercer 119-05-0 peg 64
6. Gary Etheridge 115-0-0 peg 129

Top Silvers:

1. Jerry Pocock 34-09-0 peg 103
2. Fred Roberts 33-13-0 peg 132
3. Tony Rixon 28-08-0 peg 125

3 comments:

timmy said...

I wish is was only a pound it was 10 pound for the league and 3 pound on the day when will i learn?

tony rixon,s days out said...

i,ll have you know there were plenty of pastie anglers on my lake but rod and me saw them all off without to much trouble and most of them will be going into hibernation soon

Silverfox Match Angling said...

I think hibernation started today!!