Sunday 9 August 2009

Sunday 09/08/2009 - Carps AC - Rood Ashton

At last the Bristol Balloon Fiesta had a sunny, dry weekend – must be the first for many years. As I write I can see Balloons galore from my office window heading my way.

I like Rood Ashton, the only downer – no cafĂ©. One other issue I have is the up keep of the fishery. The access drive is in a terrible state, with only 4x4’s now able to drive to pegs. Luckily I was with Mark Tanner and his Jeep thing. It was disappointing to hear that Charlie Barnes decided not to fish after drawing peg 19 due to the walk (second longest walk – second best peg)! Anyway, I hope Carps AC kept his pools money!!

Gordon “Corner” Cannings drew corner peg 1 again! John Baker said that if the Lake was perfectly round Gordon would still manage draw a corner!!

I drew peg 15 which is on the top bank, just before the corner – opposite the “Jungle” Island. Rood is one venue where I do enjoy catching the Carp equally as much as the Silvers. However, compared with many of the swims I had seen there weren’t many Carp showing. Hence I made the decision to start after the Ronnie’s on a 3 metre whip and maggot (the Ronnie’s are a good stamp at Rood so caster not essential). I caught Ronnie’s steady for about two hours, I then foul hooked a Carp, for the next half hour it was hard – picking off the odd Ronnie. I then hooked a Carp which broke me, so on to the paste and pellet for the Carp. I had fed both margins – one heavier than the other. I started at 8 metres with 6mm expander over 4mm hard pellet and had a run of four Carp. I then ventured in to the margins. It’s strange how one side produces and the other not. In this case it was the RH side where I caught (lightly fed). I had nine good Carp to 10lb on paste. The swim improved steady over the last two hours until the whistle – another hour would have been good – should have gone in sooner – perhaps! I weighed 6lb 8oz of Silvers and my thirteen Carp went 61lb 12oz. This put me second in the Silvers and a pick up of £30 with my total weight of 68lb 4oz putting sixth overall.
I was drawn next to Mark Bird - What a noisy beggar!! However he does have a sense of humour.

The match was won by Rod Wotton from peg 2 with 122lb 15oz and Jamie Dyte was runner up from peg 10 with another ton of 104lb 4oz (pictured together right).

The Silvers was won by John “The Gimp” Bradford from peg 7 with 15lb all Roach on caster.

Full Result:

1. Rod Wotton 122-15-0 peg 2
2. Jamie Dyte 104-04-0 peg 10
3. Martin Mahon 81-15-0 peg 3
4. Scott Lovell 74-10-0 peg 20
5. John Baker 68-07-0 peg 18
6. Mike Nicholls 69-04-0 peg 15

Top Silvers:

1. John Bradford 15-0-0 peg 7
2. Mike Nicholls 6-08-0 peg 15

No comments: