Saturday 8 August 2009

Bathampton AA - Veterans Match - Huntstrete - Bridge and Withy Pool

As it was a glorious day I decided to pick up my camera and have a walk around the Bathampton Veterans match being fished at Hunstrete. Walking around the Lakes I immediately noticed that the fish had resumed their summer margin haunts with pegs 1, 34, 35, 51 and 53 packed with them ( none of these pegs were being fished - why not?) I decided to go to Withy pool first and the first two anglers I met that were “still moving” was Topper Haskins and Mike Jones – pegged next to each other, Mike on 66, Topper on 67 (both pictured top right). These two anglers were in my opinion the best river angler in the country during the seventies and early eighties. I am sure if the match was held at Newbridge it would have been a question of who came first or second (not that I am suggesting the match is held on the river you understand - I need a chance of winning). Topper had landed a couple of Carp and a few decent Bream on the waggler at all depths using banded pellet. Mike on the other hand was struggling from what I consider a "dead of winter peg" and shouldn't have been pegged this time of year. Mike owned up to 5lb of Silvers.
Terry Bruton had drawn peg 60 on Withy which suited his stile of fishing – waggler up and down and the straight lead. Terry had netted seven Carp by the time I had walked past.

Colin Golding had drawn well on peg 44, I immediately new he wasn’t catching, as on approaching him, he moaned “ucking Ronnie’s”.

On to Bridge Pool and “Bob the Price of Bread is Right” was catching well on peg 28 using Baste hook bait (can’t say paste as it would tarnish “Bob the Bread” image). Bob had 12 Carp to 13 lb on both the lead out to the end on the island and pole fished in the margin at 7 metres. His biggest fish weighed 13lb 14oz (pictured right with Bob - Thats Bob wearing his thermal fleece - The temperature was only in the mid twenties). As you will hear in the short video below, showing Bob being weigh in, Bob was unable say the word paste - "and I caught a couple on ..." (bit like Rip Off). Come on Bob you are nearly out of the closet on paste. However, I do understand that Bob “The Paste” Price, doesn’t have quite the same ring, but close enough!

The Silvers was won by Bill “The Maggot Man” Ferris” (pictured right) with 22lb from peg 24. Good one Bill.

For full Result go to: http://www.bathampton.org/
During my walk I was asked many times why I wasn't fishing - Can't you tell I am not old enough - the next bloke that ask's this will get a punch on the nose!!


2 comments:

tony rixon,s days out said...

after watching that vid i think bathampton should make people take a test before they are let loose with a set of scales and buy some proper tripods so they can weigh more fish at a time and get them back in the water asap especially in weather like that

Unknown said...

Can't see the result of this match on the Bathampton site. Can anyone direct me to the correct part of the site, nothing showing in the Match Results section