Sunday 3 May 2009

Sunday 03/05/2009 - Carps AC - Bullocks Farm - Match Lake

Bullocks Farm Match Lake is in my opinion the best Crucian Carp match venue in the South West. The venue never ceases to amaze me, thirty inches deep with plenty of quality Roach, Skimmers and Crucians (if you can catch them) and of course Carp to double figures.

I drew peg 15. Another venue virgin draw for me. When I arrived at the peg I was well pleased as I had plenty of room with both left and right hand pegs not in the draw bag. The swim has plenty of options for both Silvers and Carp. I set up a pellet rig, paste rig for over to the bare bank at 1 o clock (has it happens this rig wasn’t called upon) and a Ronnie caster rig. I started on the GOT pellet at 7 metres and caught Crucians straight away. I stayed on the pellet until half time, having caught steady until then. On to the caster and a run of 6oz to 12 oz Ronnie’s followed. Unlike smaller Ronnie’s it is very difficult to keep fish of this stamp feeding over the caster, you really do need to feed carefully and fish around/off the feed. Nonetheless, they are well educated fish. Back on to the pellet and a run of five Carp followed. Then the Ronnie’s decided to have a go at the pellet, this can drive you to madness - chasing ghosts - I think a lot of the missed bites ate shot bites. So I switched back on the caster. I kept switching swims until the end of the match. I finished with a Silvers net of 37lb 5oz consisting of mainly Crucians for 1st in the Silvers and five Carp for 18lb, and a combined weight of 55lb 5oz for 1st overall and a pick up of £65 - An excellent days fishing.

Runner of was Tony Thick - (Tom’s Dad - pictured right) with 44lb 10oz from peg 24.

Full Result:

1. Mike Nicholls 55-05-0 peg 15
2. Tony Thick 44-10-0 peg 24
3. Shaun Ketteridge 4405-0 peg 6
4. Tom Thick 44-01-0 peg 19
5. Bob Gullick 39-08-0 peg 26
6. Dave Wride 38-14-0 peg 21

Top Silvers:

1. Mike Nicholls 37-05-0 peg 15
2. Shaun Kitteridge 28-04-0 peg 6
3. Bob Gullick 28-04-0 peg 26

No comments: