Wednesday 25 February 2009

Wednesday 25/02/2009 - Avon Angling Open - Avalon Fishery

My first visit to Avalon Fishery (Glastonbury - West Hay)) for some years, certainly well before Vic Bush and Lee Nutland took over. The access road hasn’t changed much, still requiring a 4X4 to get to the car park. However, it has given me the confidence to hit the speed bumps faster than I have been. That’s the negative over. I must give credit where credit is due; Vic and Lee have vastly improved the venue. The fishing is far better than I remember; particularly the Silver fishing. The location has always been very much “in a nature reserve” with all the tranquillity.

I drew peg 26, three pegs up from the bottom right hand bank end peg. I was able to drive to the bottom car park, just a few metres from my peg. It’s about thirty metres to the island; so one of the widest pegs. I had a spare peg each side of me, with Martin Alexander on end peg 24 (only took a feeder rod) and Tony May on my left peg 28. I didn’t really know what to expect and was nearly tempted to set up a waggler, to the island for Carp. Not withstanding I settled for one 4x16 rig up for the Silvers in conjunction with 4mm GOT pellet. As the bottom was fairly flat I was able to fish the same rig at both 13 metres and 14.5 metres. I fed both lines with micro. First put in I had a 4oz Skimmer. The up shot was that I got my head down and caught 4oz to 12oz Skimmers steady throughout. However, I did have three occasions where I lost the fish due to Pike problems I had one Skimmer taken from the hook and nearly landed another Pike – it snagged me on the inside. I did have two small Tench, which I suppose did compensate. I weighed 26lb 10 oz for first in the Silvers and a pick up of £40.


The match was won by Tony Rixon (pictured right) from peg 12 with 120lb 5oz of quality Carp. Tony caught on “conventional” peacock waggler at half depth with 8mm hair rigged pellet on the hook. Tony fed one pint of 6 mm pellet throughout the match.

Full Result:

1. Tony Rixon 120-05-0 peg 12
2. Nick Collier 73-10-0 peg 21
3. Dean Mallin 68-08-0 peg 38
4. Gary Wall 64-0-0 peg 1
5. Anton Page 50-02-0 peg 26
6. Mike West 46-0-0 peg 7

Top Silvers:

1. Mike Nicholls 26-10-0 peg 26
2. Lewis Jones 17-06-0 peg 32
3. Tony May 17-04-0 peg 28

All the above picked up money - Tony does spread the dosh.

No comments: