Sunday 22 February 2009

Sunday 22/02/2009 - Carps AC - Big Money Silvers Match - Viaduct

The phone was ringing when I got home. It was Darren Gillman. His first words were “would you believe me if I told you I had drawn the same peg on the Kennet and Avon Canal that I had framed off last week”? My answer was "of course I believe you - no surprise for me". However, a different story this week 3lb 5oz and last in section. The Skimmers on the canal will move hundreds of yards once caught, the Ronnie’s tend to stay a few weeks longer before they also move off to quieter waters. Apparently, today there were a number of twenty pound weights – one coming from Georges turning bay.

On arrival at Viaduct and with close inspection of the lakes; my expectations weren’t high. My thinking was that twenty pound would be needed to win (wrong)! I was hoping for a peg with the wind off my back. It wasn’t to be. I drew peg 114 on Campbell. I set up a light ground bait feeder rod and a wire stem rig at 13 metres. I wasn’t convinced that ground bait would work; so I fed caster at 13 metre and cast the GB feeder to one thirds with double maggot (red and white). This resulted in four Ronnie’s and two tiny Skimmers. The swim soon died. At least I was right about the GB. Out on the pole with double caster and was soon in to a skinny 1lb 8oz Tench. The Viaduct Tench fight similar to the Brsitol Avon Chub; diving for the bankside vegetation and under the platforms, because of this the pull-a-bung really came into it's own. I kept this swim going through out the rest of the match, catching the odd Tench and decent Skimmer. This lasted until the last hour when the Carp moved in (some refer to them as vermin - good description today). I hook three and landed one. This spoiled, what would have otherwise been, a good day. I finished with nine Tench and six Skimmers for 23lb 12oz. This put me eighth overall, just out of the money.















When we heard that Steve Kedge (pictured above right - some say Harry Potter – I’m beginning to believe he has cast a spell over the draw bag) had drawn peg 123 a groan went round the venue. Steve doesn’t need a second invitation; winning the match with 63lb of Tench and Skimmers. Steve said after the match that wherever he put in, he caught fish “it was solid”. Steve caught both short (the top set) and long (13 metres). All his fish fell to caster. Steve picked up the £400 big money purse.

Runner up was Andy Lloyd on the next utilised peg 125 (I wonder why they don’t use peg 124?). Andy weighed 36lb 14oz of Skimmers and Tench; his catch included a surprise 3lb Chub.

Captain George Perkins (pictured right) finished fourth overall with 32lb 2oz from peg 130. George caught mainly Skimmers using just his top set and caster.


Full result:

1. Steve Kedge 63-0-0 peg 123
2. Andy Lloyd 36-14-0 peg 125
3. Mark Broomsgrove 34-04-0 peg 69
4. George Perkins 32-02-0 peg 130
5. Chris Davis 31-05-0 peg 68
6. Nicky Collins 28-14-0 peg 66

No comments: