Wednesday 11 February 2009

Wednesday 11/02/2009 - Carps AC - Plantation Main lake

Well I had decided to give fishing a miss until next weekend, to give my eyes a rest from the cold winds. It appears, that, I have some sort of cold virus in my eyes. However yesterday, I went out for a walk to Bitterwell Lake, which I found to be partly frozen. There was only one angler fishing, you guessed it, Ian “Bloke” Pulsford. I went and watched him for a few minutes, during this short time he landed half dozen Roach to 12oz and one similar sized Skimmer. Bloke was fishing the waggler with white maggot on the hook, which he fished over loose fed mix coloured maggot. Anyway this whetted my appetite. So I booked in to fish the Carps AC match at Plantation. What I didn’t anticipate was the sever overnight frost on top of the thawing snow; the roads were treacherous. I nearly turned round at Chew Magna. Wish I did. However, it was an excellent turn out for the conditions. I drew permanent peg 27 – peg 2 on the day (pictured right – complete with ice). Out came the ice breaker and on came a sweat. After twenty minutes I had adequately cleared the swim to ten metres. I decided to kinder pot in caster with various baits on the hook. After trying red/white maggot, Pinkie, worm, caster and pellet I had five micro Perch. I decided to pack up and returned the Perch, amazingly some Mallards close by eat two of them!!

I then watch Colin Golding for ten minutes, or so, who was two pegs down. Colin was catching Roach and Skimmers on Caster over loose fed casters (about ten casters every fish). Colin then told me about his near miss with his new Colmic X5000 pole.

Colin came second over all with 7lb 15oz of Silvers.

The match was won by Pete Sivell with 10lb from peg 7. Pete had all Silvers on caster.

Full Result:

1. Pete Sivell 10-0-0 peg 7
2. Colin Golding 7-15-0 peg 4
3. Mike Owens 3-14-0 peg 9 (1 Carp)
4. Tom Coulston 2-04-0 peg 6
5. Bill Ferris 1-15-0 peg 3
6. Andy Curry 1-02-0 peg 8
6. John Bennett 1-02-0 peg 1

What Colin had done was to press the male end of his pole section (this process is normally used on the number five section up to number eight) in to polystyrene (the stuff your TV was packed in), cutting a cylinder section, then araldite into the pole section. I wonder why the pole manufacturers don't do this as standard!!!

No comments: