Wednesday 18 February 2009

Wednesday 18/02/2009 - Avon Angling Open - Landsend Fishery

I had intentions of pleasure fishing today; however, Bill Ferris offered me a lift to the Carps AC match planned for Landsend Specimen Lake. I then discovered that, due to only five being booked in the match was combined with the Avon Angling match booked for Match Lake.

Pegs 21 and 6 were drawn in the Carp golden peg and peg 25 drawn for the Silvers golden peg. I am beginning to think I’m a bit lucky, as I pulled peg 25 and with £95 in the golden peg kitty it was get your head down time. The peg has a bit of form for Silvers; few F1's and Crucians', so I was well pleased. However, on arrival at the peg the water colour was a bit like tea; I believe this to be due to an early cold water Algae bloom. This concerned me a bit as it can sicken the fish. I set a 4.5 metre whip for the Ronnie’s, a light rig for the Caster at 14.5 metre; about 1 metre form the end margin and a pellet rig for the same distance towards the island. I started on the whip with caster, but realised straight away the Ronnie’s weren’t having it. I then went on to the pellet, which resulted in a 7lb 2oz carp. I followed this up with a run of seven Crucian Carp – looking good! I then caught a few small Skimmers, but the Crucian’s had done a disappearing act. I went in to the margin with double caster and hooked a double figure Grass Carp, but after five minutes we separated company – I think this was down to me being impatient with the pull-a-bung. I still need to refine this method. I weighed 13lb 2oz of Silvers for a total weight of 20lb 4oz and a pick up of £24. At least no one else was able to win the £95!!


The match was won by Alan Oram (pictured right) from inform peg 19 with 38-04-0 of Carp. Alan fished 13 metres with corn over corn.

The Silvers was won by Nick Collier (pictured bottom right) from peg 5 with 26-0-0. Nick fished caster over caster at 11.5 metres then switched to single maggot over loose fed maggot for mostly F1's and Crucian's.

Overall the venue fished very well, which was reflected in the very close result.

Full Result:

1. Alan Oram 38-04-0 peg 19
2. Martin Lenaghan 37-10-0 peg 40
3. Craig “Trigger” Edmonds 37-05-0 peg 13
4. Dell Housen 35-07-0 peg 20
5. Nick Collier 34-04-0 peg 5
5. Nick Duckett 34-04-0 peg 15
6. Tony Rixon 29-02-0 peg 22

Top Silvers:

1. Nick Collier 26-0-0 peg 5

2. Tony Rixon 16-0-0 peg 22
3. Mike Nicholls 13-02-0 peg 25

No comments: