Wednesday 29 September 2021

Tuesday 28/09/2021 - Acorn Cost Cutter - Paddocks

Due to the petrol issue and the promise of heavy rain I decided not to go today replaced with standing looking out of the window at the garden I couldn't work on. However, matey Glenn Bailey rang and offered me a lift so decided to go but wasn't that prepared bait wise. I decided to try corn today in readiness for the forth coming colder weather. So purchased some F1 corn and maggots' from the on site well stocked shop.

I also decided to have a non island draw because my back was aching after two days of gardening, missing out on some of  the better pegs. I was pulled peg 19 and wished I had kept the island in! I can't remember ever picking up from this peg, but usually get a days fishing nonetheless. Luckily Glenn drew next to me on peg 17 so one stop unpack.

Short Ronnie rig with maggots' to see if I could catch some silvers to start with. A 4x13 MR black top to fish top set out in front, also with maggots again for silvers. Two paste rigs one for over the short Ronnie rig line down wind to my right and another for over the out in front line. The main attack was to be corn down the margin so set up a 4x12 RJ.

Started on the Ronnie rig expecting an immediate response which didn't materialise. I finally got a bite from a tiny Ronnie. Caught a few more but this wasn't going to win anything. However, I noticed loads of fry which I assumed to be Perch. Out in front with the maggot over loose feed and had a three Skimmers and a small Tench before the line completely died. So fed some micro and loose fed hard fours over the top and picked up the paste rig and had three Carp one fouled in the tail which I landed - eventually. Again this died even though I was topping up regularly. Glenn was catching well on paste down the middle, so decided I would spend the rest of the match trying to make the corn work in the margin. The Carp certainly responded to the kinder feed but only wanted to pick it up on the drop. I tried feeding allsorts with the corn, finding the GB best. I was laying the corn against the very steep shelve. I had seven Carp, two on the drop. Close to the end the rain absolutely hammered down and without doubt all the anglers were glad to hear the all out. It looked like to me that the carp were feeding on the fry.

My few silvers weighed 4 lb 2 oz and my carp 47 lb 13 oz for a total of 52 lb. Glad I didn't have to weigh in today, this was down to Boris and Blanks.

The match was won by Glenn (pictured upper right looking wet) with 109 lb 10 oz from peg 17. Glenn caught some short on the top set but mainly down the middle with paste over copious amounts of soaked 4's. I must say an excellent display of paste fishing, well done matey.

The silvers was won by Dave Wride (pictured with the match winner - a rare picture of him smiling) with 26 lb from peg 2. Dave caught on the pole in the water. Probably using expander over micro.

The rain was so hard the Ducks went into hibernation. No pub stop because we all wanted to get home and dry out. Most of the roads were starting to flood so good decision.

Result:




















Weigh Sheets:










No comments: