Friday 3 September 2021

Thursday 02/09/2021 - Ray's Rip Off - Windmill - Match Lake

I had a quick look at the lake and just as quick decided I wanted either pegs 24 or 25 as the wind was hacking into both pegs. I didn't think the opposite end would fish as well as recently.

Ray did his usual draw by throwing the swim cards into the air again I picked the one that landed closest. Peg 4 it would be again! Not that keen on this peg as I couldn't get the margin to work last match. Arrived at the peg and found someone had nicked my pallet!! With the bank looking dodgey and probably undercut I had the choice which side to set up on. I chose the left as there is a tree to the right which would had limited the length of the margin - pictured. For company I had Dave Poole on peg 5 who would no doubt be fishing his favoured long whip for silvers.

Decided to focus on Carp. So with the experienced gained last match I set up just the two paste rigs - 0.3 gram for the LH margin and a 0.4 for out in front. Last time I could only catch out in front, so this is where I started by potting micro in and loose feed some hard 4's over the top. I had a quick response catching two Carp followed by a period of foulers which all were lost. After an hour and only three carp for about 20 lb is was obvious things were going to be vastly different than last match. I had a visit from Glenn Bailey who had also started to struggle after a good start claiming 35 lb from flyer peg 10. I did try a 4x14 Titan at top-set plus one with corn over corn and had one Perch and a small Skimmer. That was abandoned. The in front line had completely died, not even signs of the silver nibblers. I potted some GB into the margin and had a carp first drop in with paste. I had a good run by topping up with GB. With an hour left I was now expecting to to get to the ton. However, I started to foul hook Carp which was very frustrating. With 15 minutes to go the penny dropped the Carp where feeding on the suspended GB, so I switched to potting micro, this worked but all too late. There's' no doubt the GB got them into the margin but should have switch to potting micro sooner. - lesson learnt - or not.

Today just goes to show that fishing is not prescriptive as peg 4 fished the exact opposite as last match, as I think other pegs did.

I weighed 78 lb 12 oz which was a surprise third place.

The match was won by Willy Willmott (pictured with the silvers winner) with 156 lb from peg 25. Dave initially caught on the method switching to both margins using 7 mm meat over loose fed meat. Dave needs to get some heavier elastic similar to the Drennan 25 as he lost loads in the reeds!

The silvers was won once again by Dave Haines with 25 lb 3 oz from peg 21. Dave fished his usual short whip using caster/ maggot hook baits over GB and loose feed.

Back to the "Ringer" with the usual suspects. Good end to another good day out with like minded friends.

Result:

1. Dave Willmott 156-0-0 peg 25

2. Glenn Bailey 89-04-0 peg 10

3. Mike Nicholls 78-12-0 peg 4

4. Paul Haines 78-05-0 peg 17

Silvers:

1. Dave Haines 25-02-0 peg 21

2. Hughie Evans 13-08-0 peg 12

Weigh Sheet:














 

No comments: