Friday 18 December 2020

Thursday 17/12/2020 - Silverfox Local - Windmill Fishery - Match Lake

Weather was forecast to be dry, moderate winds with temperatures up to 14 degrees, so perfect day for winter fishing. Another good turn out with 16 fishing.

To aid my self distancing I co-opted Junior to collect the pools, apparently he's now referred to as "Torpedo" Bowden - apparently he sinks Shipp's. With the other Junior on the weigh sheet (may be trouble ahead) with Tony on the scales my job done except for some diplomacy.

With Geoff Grunt short walk sorted the Covid safe draw was underway. Tony pulled me peg 17. I was happy with this as it's in the gap between the islands with some of the fish backing off into it when the tow gets significant. Got to the peg and found my self between the two Juniors, could they repeat their one - two from the last match at this venue and batter the senile OAP?

The wind was in a good direction for the waggler but the reflected light was a concern. So with a red top waggler set-up on the Drennan 12 foot Carp waggler rod (wish Dad could have had a go on this rod - it's amazing) attached to 3 lb Maxima and 0.14 GLine hook length to Tubertini 808 - size 18 to impair three semi conscious reds (SCR's). I also set up a 4 x14 MR Winter to fish ay 10 metres at 2 o'clock with GB and Pinkie, which on the all in I fed one nub laced with Pinkie. Loose fed the waggler line and after a few cast realised if the sun stayed bright I the float was very visible even though dotted down. I started to get some indications and because I was dragging a few inches on I would get a slight lift before the float went under and my first Carp in the net after five minutes. I kept up regular feeding of LR's which was reasonably accurate considering the wind and the 20 metres I was fishing. For half the match I had lost two foul hookers landing eight Carp, one Ronnie and a 12 oz Skimmer. It was at this time I should have switched to the pole but was happy to be able to squint at the float which was almost invisible due to the ripple and reflected light and drink tea at the same time. I only added one more Carp on the waggler and it wasn't until the last 45 minutes that I had a go on the pole hoping for some Silvers. So topped up the line and first put in caught a 4 oz Skimmers and a Ronnie. Shortly after I had decent Skimmer. It went quiet until I foul hooked another Carp. Just before the all out I was getting some indications and now wishing I had switched to the pole earlier, giving the waggler and my eyes a rest.

My Silvers weighed in at 2 lb 9 oz for third Silvers and my beautifully marked Common Carp taking my total to 43 lb 6 oz for second overall. Oh yes both the Juniors DNW'd, hope I haven't done too much damage to their confidence - 😝Lol.

The match was won by inform Dave Willmott (pictured with his catch and the Silvers winner) with 80 lb 5 oz from peg 10. Dave basically caught on maggot over maggot - but told me he fed a menagerie of baits. Dave fished the pole on two lines at 13 metres.

The Silvers was won once again by Dave "The Whip" Poole with 7 lb 11 oz from peg 4. Dave caught on the whip fishing maggot over hand fed GB.

Well done to both.

Finally: Kev Winstone needs some additional training on the difference in recording Silvers and Carp on the weigh sheet - where have we gone wrong with theses Juniors?

Result:

1. Dave Willmott 80-05-0 peg 10

2. Mike Nicholls 43 lb 6 oz peg 17

3. Tony Rixon 36-0-0 peg 12

Silvers:

1. Dave Poole 7-11-0 peg 4

2. John Osbourne 2-12-0 peg 24

3. Mike Nicholls 2-09-0 peg 17

Weigh Sheet:



No comments: