Monday 7 December 2020

Sunday 06/12/20 - Westerleigh Winter League - Remainder from 2019 - Taylors Pool and Shipps Canal

This was the last match from last years cancelled league I'm now booked in for the full series this year. I was reserve on Taylors Pool. I do prefer this Pool as it has small Carp which tend to feed more so that the bigger Carp, plus a few more Silvers than the Canal.

It rained all day albeit light, at one time it was such that a few had to put up the umbrella. I would have done had I brought it - No rain today they said!! And yet today the Met Office is forecasting weather in 2040!! Less snow and more rain = same amount of water!!

Drew peg 22 which I fished this time last year. and caught on the waggler and very little elsewhere on the pole. The peg is probably the deepest on the pool which is not conducive for winter fishing. So set up the a small straight waggler with 3 no 11 droppers set at 4 foot to fish off the island with single LR over loose fed LR's. I also set up a 4x14 winter wire dotted right down to fish at top-set plus three barrels with double Pinkie over GB laced with Pinkie - that's it.

I fed the GB line and loose fed a dozen maggots over. Started on the waggler. The target on the waggler was Ronnie's, Rudd and small Carp. I knew if I didn't get an early indication I wasn't going to complete with pegs 14,14 and 16. After 20 minutes with no indications and with the realisation sinking in I put the waggler down and tried the pole I soon had a Skimmer which was very welcome even though it was only 2 oz. For the next two hours I added 6 more Skimmers up to 12 oz and two small Carp and one Goldfish (should have been an instant win) and lost two small Carp one was definitely foul hooked the other could have been played a bit more carefully. Thereafter, I couldn't buy a bite adding only two Ronnie's and one more tiny Skimmer.

My Carp weighed 2 lb 8 oz and my Silvers 2 lb 10 oz totaling 5 lb 2 oz. Bit of bad luck not picking up missed out by 4 oz - that small lost Carp costing me! That said other than the rain I wasn't cold and to be honest I do enjoy these low weight winter matches. getting the float dotted down in itself can be challenging but rewarding.

My pond was won by Steve "The loaf" Rogers (pictured with the Pool silvers winner) with 6 lb 9 oz from peg 14. Steve caught over copious amounts of liquidised bread with punch hook bait and later fishing longer over loose fed maggot. Steve also won the league overall - well done matey.

The Silvers was won by Simon Belcham with 3 lb 13 oz from peg 16. Simon fished maggot short.

The Canal was won by Tony Mears (pictured with the Canal Silvers winner) with 18 lb 2 oz which included a winter beast of 15 lb 8 oz! Tony caught it on maggot down to the aerator.

Johnny Clark won the Silvers with 1 lb 11 oz!

Yes it was hard, but enjoyable. Great bunch of guys.

Weigh Sheets:



No comments: