Friday 11 December 2020

Thursday 10/12/2020 - Rixon's Rip Off - Plantation Main Lake - Silvers Only

Must say I didn't enjoy the drive down in the dark especially through the lanes with a car right up my ass. Probably go via motorway next time.

The weather was really mild, overcast and was to stay dry. However, it was flat calm and with no tow wouldn't help Skimmer fishing.

This venue wrt quality of Silver fishing is second to none in our area, Tony could have filled the match twice over. However, it's a pity the banks are in such a poor state of repair, with mud everywhere - not for tackle tarts.

Tony called me peg 6 which is permanent peg 8. Not happy with this as it's really difficult for me to set up the tackle box and get the keep nets in the water without them catching up in some old bank shoring's. Setting up the box took up most of my setting of time. I ended up unprepared only setting up one rig, a 4 x15 Winter Wire which would more or less do for most areas. I was limited by the light reflected trees on the island as to where I could fish, settling on a dark area at 10 metres at 11 o'clock. My target was Skimmers so fed GB laced with Pinkie with double Pinkie on the hook.

It was a while before I had my first fish a 2 oz Ronnie. It looked as if it was going to fish Hard. I kept the GB going in and started to loose feed Pinkie over the top which resulted in a run of Ronnie's, but no Skimmers. I wasn't that concerned as last time I fished the peg I had a run of large Skimmers during the last hour. I kept putting Ronnie's in the net but it was clear that shipping in and out wasn't the right way to fish for them especially as I was low down to the rollers. I thought about setting up the 4 metre whip and switching to caster. However, moving on the box caused it to start slipping forward towards the water so stayed where I was, still anticipating Skimmers late. Mid match I did have three Carp one about 9 lb, Again I thought the Skimmers might show up behind them. Unfortunately not, only managing the one. I did manage to get out of the peg and pack away the tackle safely, albeit sloshing around in the mud.

My Ronnie's weighed 13 lb 10 oz for nowhere, just didn't get anything right today from the drive down to the drive back.

The match was won by Dave Willmott (pictured right with Lee Waller the runner up) with 27 lb 10 oz from permanent peg 7. Dave caught at 11.5 metres until the Ducks found his loose fed casters. Dave switched short to 7 metres where he either toss potted caster or tried hand feeding them whilst the Ducks weren't watching.  Dave's catch included three big Perch with the rest being quality Roach. Well done matey.

Now off to clean up the tackle.

Result (perm pegs no's):

1. Dave Willmott 27-10-0 peg 8 (Roach/Perch)

2. Lee Waller 26-02-0 peg 31 (Skimmers)

3. Chris Fox 24-10-0 peg 5 (Skimmers/Roach)

4. Tony Rixon 23-0-0 peg 2 (Roach)

5. Ryan Jordan 21-02-0 peg 15 (Skimmers)

Weigh Sheet:



No comments: