Friday 4 December 2020

Thursday 03/12/2020 - Silverfox Local - Open - Windmill Fishery - Match Lake

Officially back to match fishing. I must say the Angling Trust has made a complete ass of itself over their management of match fishing during the Covid19 lockdowns. Jamie Cook has contributed significantly towards their defunding - not good for a CEO. Under the old NFA he would have been voted out at the next AGM.

At the request of the fishery Manager I prepared a Covid19 risk assessment. To ensure complete compliance anglers were threatened with disqualification for anyone following the scalesman.

Well done to Pete Greenslade for calling the NSPB and helping the rescuing a Moorhen trapped in line on the bottom island. The NSPB guy had a floatation suit and was able to easily access the island without a boat. The Moorhen was OK but would spend the night in hospital.

With sixteen fishing the pegging was relative easy, giving everyone plenty of room. I was hoping for pegs 24 or 25. Was last out of the bag and allocated peg 19. No emotion just so content to be fishing. At least the light rain and wind was just over the left shoulder. Umbrella up, heated jacket ready to be switched on if I started to shiver - which I did after two hours - good purchase. I found myself between two Silvers anglers - Dave Poole and Andy Gard - great company.

I set up the short Ronnie rig and tried setting up a 4x16 to fish top-set plus two or three barrels. I don't know if its because I'm not match fit but tangled the rig and spent 15 minutes trying to save it to no avail - losing patience with it. Another rig and I ended up with a knot in the main line - bugger - not the start I wanted. All this messing about meant I didn't have time to set up the waggler to fish to the island - the wind was perfect for it.

Started by feeding a ball of GB on the Ronnie rig line and half a pot of micro and DR's at top-set plus two. Started here with double DR's. I was expecting bites from Ronnie's straight away, but that didn't happen so they weren't feeding then. I was getting indications which proved to be liners as I foul hooked a Carp which broke the hook length. I decided to put on a whole worm and had a Carp first try, quickly followed by another - got it cracked then - no more bites on this but persevered with DR's and worm, I kept some feed going in. I dropped in on the Ronnie rig with single LR and wasn't surprised to not get a bite as Dave Haines opposite had given up on his and was of the lead. I decided to switch round to 9 o- clock still at 2 barrels feeding some GB laced with Pinkie. First try I had a 1 lb Skimmer and a Ronnie followed by a 3 lb Carp which I lost in the reeds. Another couple of small Skimmers and Ronnie's before it died. I suddenly noticed Carp feeding everywhere, but not over the feed!! Couldn't understand what was going on. However, I switched to three barrels out in front feeding GB laced with Pinkie and with triple Pinkie on the hook I had a spell of putting three beautiful looking big Common Carp in the net - cripes they fought very hard - got the adrenalin pumping. After a long bite less spell I had another 3 lb Carp close to the all out.

My Silvers weighed  2 lb 4 oz for second in the Silvers and my total of 39 lb 8 oz put me third overall, so a good day which despite the weather I really enjoyed it. I wished I tried the waggler and nearly set it up.

The match was won by Kev Winstone (pictured right with the Silvers winner - being bombed by Junior) with 80 lb 4 oz from peg 25. Kev caught long fishing corn over corn feeding one tin of corn.

The Silvers was won by Dave Poole with 3 lb 4 oz from peg 18. Dave caught on the 4 metre whip using a waggler rig, fishing maggot over hand fed GB.

Well done to both.

Finally, I wondered why Pete Turner packed in early - out of character, until I found out he loose fed his mobile. Bet he was devastated as he spends most of the match on it managing Mumbles Brewery - great beer by the way.

Another match in two weeks time 18/12/20.

Result:

1. Kev Winstone 80-04-0 peg 25

2. Gary Bowden 72-15-0 peg 2

3. Mike Nicholls 39-08-0 peg 19

4. Tony Rixon 37-01-0 peg 7

Silvers:

1. Dave Poole 3-04-0 peg 18

2. Mike Nicholls 2-14-0 peg 19

3. Tony Ponting 2-09-0 peg 15

3. Andy Gard 2-09-0 peg 21

Weigh Sheet:



No comments: