Wednesday 1 July 2020

Tuesday 30/06/2020 - Acorn Cost Cutter - Paddocks

I'm beginning to feel like a regular at this venue. Arrived in plenty of time as is the "new normal". The weather is very changeable at the moment and expected some showers and low temperatures for the time of year. I had my usual walk around and fancied peg 11 which as happened wasn't pegged.

Pay the dues and Mike Chapman drew me peg 19. No emotion as all the pegs on this venue have their day. I had matey Two Pots Bailey turn up on next peg 18, so great company.

I set up one 0.3 gram shotted paste rig and three Silver rigs - Short and long Ronnie rig and a 4 x12 to fish top-set plus one barrel. I'm beginning to wonder why I bother to take pole rollers!

I started by cupping a ball of Skimmer GB in at top-set plus one, choosing to start on the short Ronnie rig using single LR over loose fed LR's. I had a run of 4 oz Carp and a couple of decent Skimmers with one better one flying off. The Roach were conspicuous by their absence. It went quite except for the micro Perch, so switched to the long Ronnie rig and had a couple of Skimmers and a couple of Ronnie's and a Tench, but not one of the specimen ones coming out. By now Two Pots had a couple of small Carp but as with everyone else was struggling to catch Carp. I had a go over the GB which had now stopped fizzing and had another Skimmer and another 4 oz Carp. I switched to worm on the hook and hooked one of the big Tench - at last - but no - it came off at the net. Bugger. As the fishing was slow all round I stayed with the Silvers picking off the odd few ounces, and as hindsight now tells me far too long. I ask Two Pots how long we had left and told me 1 hour 45 minutes so switched to the margin with paste which I fished over micro and loose fed hard fours. I soon seen a Carp doing their crafty sneak along close to the bank then moving down the margin slope to feed, of course the first thing they touch is the rig line producing liners causing the fish then to bow wave out of the peg or bloody fouling. These fish were between 7 and 10 lb. So after a spell of foul hooking and messing about with my depth by only small amounts I started to get some in the mouth. I did hook a double figure fish - unfairly I add which went mental ending up under Two Pots platform I went down and to save my embarrassment pulled for the break, so 10 lb less in the net due to bad angling and an apology to my neighbour. At least I landed more than I lost today landing 10 decent sized Carp. As time progressed I hooked more in the mouth and felt by the end I would really start to bag. Been there before.

My Silvers weigh in at 15 lb 2 oz and my ten Carp 57 lb 7 oz for a seventh overall total of 72 lb 9 oz. On refection I should have started for the Carp half hour earlier. Nice tight match with sensible weights.

The match was won by Kurtis Pinkett (pictured upper right) with 90 lb 1 oz from peg 12. Kurtis initially caught shallow down to the tree on banded pellet. Half time he switched to his RH margin fishing maggot over GB and maggot feed.

The Silvers (Greens) was won by Mark Walsh (pictured right pointing to the middle stanchion where he fished) with 50 lb 7 oz of Tench. Mark fish paste over micro.

Result:

1. Kurtis Pinkett 90-01-0 peg 12
2. Jon Taylor 86-09-0 peg 10
3. John Mills 83-06-0 peg 37
4. Keith Ray 82-15-0 peg 9
5. John Hawkins 82-02-0 peg 1
6. Eddie Wynne 73-03-0 peg 33

Silvers:

1. Mark Walsh 50-07-0 peg 40
2. Andy Gard 23-13-0 peg 27
3. Chris Ollis 19-0-0 peg 5

Weigh Sheets:




No comments: