Monday 20 July 2020

Sunday 19/07/2020 - Tony Rixon Float Only - Shiplate Fishery - Main, Hawthorne's, Squircle and Westpool Lake

Cancel my planned first visit to this well kept fishery due to my bad back, so was really looking forward to it today even though still not fully fit. I'm wondering if I ever will at my age. Met up with the fishery owners "The Game Keeper" and "Goldilocks" for a chat, both pictured left distancing in the Lodge. Garry Flinders is now starting to help out and running the matches which can only be good for all.What's noticeable there is always some an improvement to this fishery on every visit. I should have asked if the mobility scooter is for hire?

It was nice to see Shay Gillman out fishing, looks like he's invested in a lot of new tackle. Hope to see more of him now I've rejoined Golden valley Fishing Club.

Today we were able to draw our own pegs and I was hoping to draw any end peg on any Lake. So into the dipper with the much rested drawing arm and out comes peg 2 on Westpool and a desired end peg. I've drawn this peg a few times so know it well. Really pleased with it especially as the wind had swung round to the North blowing into my end. Good company with John Fuidge on peg 3. Matey Bela arrived and had the other end peg 15.

I normally have the first hour fishing for Silvers to see whats responding but unusually decided to to just fish paste all match and let John Fuidge have them to himself. So just two paste rigs one that suited both margins and as the wind was light one to fish top set on a long line at full depth - simple.

The match started by potting in micro out in front and down the LH margin. Went out in front and had a Carp first put in. Whilst playing it Joe McMahon who was om Main 10  came over and told me I had left my car door open and unlocked - thanks matey. I carried on fishing not wanting to miss the first knocking which can be very productive on any fishery. When I got to 5 Carp, 5 Skimmers and 5 Chub I rushed back to the car and found the car was locked once Joe had closed the door, so a rush back to the peg. It looked like it was fishing hard so stride picked up. I was expecting the long line to dry up but found that I was still catching well and for a period could have been at Todber. Started to feed the LH margin and out in front lightly with hard fours as I expected the margins to produce once the long line faded. I was lucky the long line lasted for 4 1/2 hours. So tried the margin expecting to add some bigger fish than I was catching. Well they were there, but found the float just swirling around washing the paste off. I lost a couple of foul hookers trashing two rigs in the process. So fed the RH side with some old casters and lost one foul hooker. The up shot was in the last 90 minutes I only added 5 Carp 2 from the LH margin an 3 out in front and two Skimmers and one more Chub (I have tried catching these Chub on conventional Chub bait - maggots etc.. but they only appear to respond to fishmeal baits. I fed about 3/4 pint of bait all match.

My 50 Carp weighed 159 lb 7 oz (averaging 3 lb 3 oz) and my skinny Silvers 10 lb 2 oz. for a second overall weight of 169 lb 9 oz. What was noticeable I caught a 10 lb Carp which took half the time to land than the 3-4 lb fish!

The match was won by Russ Peck (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 262 lb 2 oz from fancied peg 1 on Main. Russ caught at 13 metres using pellet over banded pellet. Well done matey. I heard after the match that Ricky Mills was asking around for paste lessons.

The Silvers was won by George Woodhead with 82 lb 8 oz (just short of the current match record) from peg 14B main. George caught short on pellet over banded pellet.

Back again Thursday for the cost cutter on Main.

Weigh Sheets:


































































Result:


No comments: