Monday 27 July 2020

Sunday 26/07/2020 - Tony Rixon's 13 Metre Pole Only - Chiltern Chilton - Woodlands

Thank God for Physiotherapist, back much improved but still being cautious. 

Nice steady drive down the M5 more or less inside lane all the way. I had a walk around the Lake and didn't fancy the far side only due to the difficulty now setting up the box after the work done moving the bank back due to erosion. I would recommend that all the trees/bushed that are sat right on the edge of the near bank are removed otherwise the same will happen there and is already sever undercut exposing roots. I decided on the peg of choice and took a picture from it - peg 2 - not drawn it yet.

P. Rick had planned for us to draw our own pegs but lost the draw cards on his peg selection walkabouts so we were back to Judith's bingo wheel. Wheel of fortune spun and out comes peg 26 for me. No emotion being on the preferred bank was enough for me. Good company with Paul Elmes on peg 27 who I could hear but not see and Mark Broomsgrove on peg 25 who I could see and hear. Great company.

Had a chat with Mark who had committed to fishing for Silvers all match. I thought about it but decided against fishing long, so Carp short and perhaps the accidental Skimmers might join in the fun. So set up two paste rigs - one for top-set plus one which took me just up the shelf out of the silt. The other one for the right hand margin. Bait tray paste, hard 4's and micro. I did give Mark some hooker casters.

So fed the usual one pot of micro on both lines and started on the "longest line" with paste and had a Carp second put in. Next was a 3 lb Skimmer followed by a Eel that I believe would have been a PB but lost it in debris on the bottom. For the next hour I couldn't get a bite except from debris on the bottom which Mark and I had a good laugh over - some pictured right. No Mark I didn't weigh them in as all foul hooked. Mark was doing very well on the Silvers and it was obvious that the Lake was fishing hard for Carp. So as boredom started to set in I set up a Ronnie rig to fish caster over caster. I had a good hour catching small Silvers. Come the fourth hour I started to foul hook Carp on this rig. So thinking I was too far behind on the Silvers I switched back to the original plan and fished paste down the margin changing to loose feeding hard fours. I had a great last 90 minutes albeit frustrating. I landed 9 decent Carp to 18 lb and lost 8. One snagged me in the corner tree roots, another broke the line (probably damaged  by the roots), the third I lost trying to rush it in to catch the last one before the all out. The other five were foul hookers with no chance of getting them out. So two Carp lost due to losing concentration leading to  poor angling, but in my defence they were on the large size and hard fighting.

My 9 Carp weighed in at 73 lb 14 oz and my Silvers 10 lb 2 oz for an 84 lb total. I was hoping this might get me a default section and was surprised it got me 4th overall pickup. I think had I carried on with the Silvers I would have secured a second Silvers by default. So all pools covers.

The match was won by Ryan Shipp (pictured upper right) with 123 lb 10 oz. from peg 2!! Ryan fished the full 13 metres fishing his favourite caster over caster shallow. Fishing this way Ryan catches everything including Silvers so has his pools options open. Well done matey, Dad did well too.

The Silvers was won by Mark Broomsgrove (pictured right with a quality mixed bag of Silvers) with 28 lb 12 oz from peg 25. Mark caught on worm over chopped worm in lashings of GB. A memorial day as we had a right laugh. Well done matey.

We have all anticipated a bite just as the all out is called and stayed those extra minutes. Paul Elmes did this today and landed a beautiful double - pictured right. Paul correctly returned the fish -  Paul did sneak in the Silvers by default fishing meat.

This weeks matches:
Tuesday Acorn
Thursday Hunstrete - hope it fished better, been right off lately
Sunday Landsend - Hoping for Lake 3.

Result:

1. Ryan Shipp 123-10-0 peg 2
2. Ryan Jordan 105-08-0 peg 23
3. Vince Shipp 89-12-0 peg 20
4. Mike Nicholls 84-0-0 peg 26
5. Ricky Mills 80-08-0 peg 3
6. Tony Rixon 64-0-0 peg 22

Silvers:

1. Mark Broomsgrove 28-12-0 peg 25
2. Ryan Shipp 24-06-0 peg 2
3. Paul Elmes 15-10-0 peg 27

Weigh Sheets:




No comments: