Friday 5 April 2019

Thursday 04/04/2019 - Shiplate Farm - Rixon's Rip-Off - Westpool

Back to Shiplate Farm for a Rixon Rip-off on Westpool. With the weather making a swift return to winter with rain and cold wind promised Westpool is one of the best places to fish as it is sheltered from the Mendips to the North as well as shelter from a hill protecting the prevailing Westerly winds. Nonetheless it was bloody cold. However, the walk to the pool soon warms you up - for a while! No one expected big weights today we've had a couple of hard frosts and plenty of cold rain has gone in the Lakes.

Had a chat with the usual suspects fishing the Thursday Costcutter, nice to see Mike  Owens out fishing again. His Wife is one day older than me.

Ten fishing so nearly a knock up. Third into the draw tin and out comes peg 9. I was told it would be good for Silvers. I don't take too much notice of these comments as experience tells me to find out yourself on the day.

Unless it's a Slivers only match I compromise my rigs so I have a chance of getting the larger Carp out. So I use the Drennan yellow eatsic which is a 10-12. However, I expect to lose some Silvers - mostly small Ronnies. For longevity my rig line is always 0.16 GLine and my hooks Tubertini - 808's - size to suit bait being used. All hook sizes will land big Carp - eventually. The 808 is a very light hook, weight I think is important so minimum number of blood knot turns, since reading an article by Ivan Marks back in the seventies I have used his recommended seven turns, which is two more than the minimum. Hook length is always 0.14 GLine again for robustness. I like a stiff line as it sits straight and is less likely to get blown around by fish etc..plus fish don't have micrometres. There is a lot of bollocks talked about hook length diameter.

I initially set up a 4x14 float which was far too big for the 3 foot of water, so switched to a 4x12 Winter Titan. The only other rig was the Ronnie. I toyed with setting up a paste rig which would have of got used. The peg had a consistent flat bottom so the Titan would suit all over the peg. I tried it in the margin and found the plummet  would just slide down the steep bank to full depth, no where would hold, so Titan would suit the margin too. Ronnie rig also set to depth. I started at top-set plus two sections with 4 mm expander over micro and had a Ronnie fish put-in. There was a couple of bubbles coming up which went as soon as next put-in I had a small Tench. I refed some micro and could only catch Ronnies which were coming off. So time for the Ronnies rig. I fed some GB and fish LR's over it and had a Ronnie every cast - until I hooked a Carp of 3 lb which came to the net easily. This didn't seem to disrupt the Ronnies. I kept the Ronnies coming for half the match until the wind made presentation too difficult. So switched the Ronnie rig downwind, close in, but down the shelf again with maggot over GB. It took awhile but did transfer the Ronnies. I then had a difficult 45 minutes - the Carp moved in. During this period I landed two more with one a double and lost three with the last one breaking my obviously already damaged elastic - so it was a sad goodbye to one of my Ronnie rigs. I nearly got off my box and set up a paste rig but couldn't be arsed - too cold. So onto the Titan for the rest of the match and as expected lost a few Ronnies but did have five small Skimmers to 1 lb but I did lose two, with the now gusting wind not helping. I was bloody freezing.

My Silvers weighed 19 lb 12 oz missing out a Silvers first by 4 oz and my three Carp weighing 18 lb 14 oz for a third overall pickup with 38 lb 10 oz. So my compromise rigs probably cost me a Silvers first but did get me a third overall. As to being a Silvers peg wasn't right today anyway because there were plenty of signs of Carp especially close in.

The match was one by Johnny Page (pictured right) with 61 lb 4 oz from peg 11. John caught on hard pellet fished down the far shelf at 16 metres, fished over loosed fed pellet.

The Silvers was won by Dave Wride with a dead 20 lb frm end peg 15. Dave told me he caught on the pole in the water with a hook.

Result:

1. Johnny Page 61-04-0 peg 11
2. Tony Rixon 52-02-0 peg 14
3. Mike Nicholls 39-10-0 peg 9

Silvers:

1. Dave Wride 20-0-0 peg 15
2.Mike Nicholls 18-12-0 peg 9

Weight Sheet:


No comments: