Sunday 14 April 2019

Sunday 14/04/2019 - Shiplate Farm Open - Main Lake

Travelled down with Glenn Bailey and arrived early at the fishery. So a little catch up with Goldilocks and the Gamekeeper who is poorly at the moment, hope he gets well soon as we need someone on shotgun.

I had a walk around and noticed Westpool and the Main Lake water levels have drop by circa 10 inches which I put down to the trees sprouting leaves and needing to suck gallons from the Lakes.

I then spotted "Incognito" with his tackle (pictured right) who FOE'd. 

Into the draw box and out comes a peg that I felt embarrassed about as it is usually reserved for Two Pots. I did offer to swap my peg 15 with his Silvers peg 10. Peg 15 and peg 1 are noted Carp winning pegs. However, when I arrived at the longest walk peg I was concerned about the freezing cold wind blowing hard into me. I was boody freezing.

I fancied the waggler down to the end bank where I could let the wind blowing the bait up the shelf. But noticed that a margin tree would hinder casting so gave that thought up. So three rigs a 0.3 Gram paste float which was highly optimistic under such cold and windy conditions. I did try it but the tow was far too great so early bath. Next was a 4x12 Winter Titan to fish out in front at top-set plus two in three foot of water - very shallow at this end of the Lake. I also reluctantly set up a 4x12 Roob to fish the same distance down the inside shelf. However, whilst plumbing I was picking up rotten pieces of tree branches.

Started on the Titan with 4mm expander over micro and within a minute I was tussling with a foul hooked Carp which broke me. So I changed the hook length upto a 0.16 GLine. Out again and another lost fouler next I had a Ronnie which fell off. Next another lost fouler - things not going well. It was clear the towing with the wind along and inwards was the main cause of fouling. So changed to the Roob with double maggot over kinder maggot and I was soon playing a Grass Carp hooked in the mouth! I played this for an age the inside is only a few inches deep so couldn't get the net under it. Fair play to it the hook pulled - bugger as it was easily a double. The torrid time hadn't ended as I hooked another five foul hooked Carp making it 9 nil. So tried some GB which brought an instant response from the resident Tench. They started to save the day for me puttin eight Tench to 3 lb in the net. Now we tend to strike at any indications but because of all the foulers I had lost some confidence. So I was delighted when I had a 20 lb Carp in the mouth and managed to get it in the net. I had a run of three more decent Carp before the swim completely died except for the odd Ronnie. Then between the allout Westpool (another match here) and all out main Lake I hooked my fifth Carp. My Carp catch pictured right.


My five Carp weighed 58 lb 4 oz and my Silvers (Greens) 21 lb 14 oz for a third overall total of 80 lb 2 oz and second in the Silvers so both categories covered.

The match was won by John Dursley (pictured right) with 94 lb 3 oz from peg 1. John caught on the method either over to the island or towards the end bank. Later John caught down his RH margin on meat.

The Silvers was won by Tom Thick (pictured right with the runner up who has more hair) with 29 lb 5 oz from peg 11. Tom caught some decent Skimmers at 14.5 Metres using corn hook bait fished over potted corn.

Finally the van talk on the way home was lost Carp and broken cupping kit!!

Result:

1. John Dursley 94-03-0 peg 1
2. Tom Thick 89-02-0 peg 11
3. Mike Nicholls 80-02-0 peg 15

Silvers:

1. Tom Thick 29-05-0 peg 11
2. Mike Nicholls 21-14-0 peg 15
3. Ron Stark 19-08-0 peg 2

Weigh Sheet:



No comments: