Tuesday 23 April 2019

Monday 22/04/2019 - Shiplate Farm Open - Westpool and Hawthornes

Due to family commitments over the Easter weekend I couldn't defend my Todber Manor King of the Manor Silvers. Well done to consistent Jack Stamp who won it this year coming third last. I also missed the first of Tony Rixon's short pole match at Woodlands but I was lucky enough to get Tim Ford to fish who did well off a poor draw. I have finally succumbed to buying a fishing trolley - the Preston Shuttle seemed to be the most popular - right heavy piece of iron work!  I need it more for carrying the rod holdall because carrying it has been affecting my shoulder. 

So after some pining I was really looking forward to fishing Shiplate with Glenn Bailey.The weather over the weekend was really hot and bright so it was good to hear that although we would still be warm there would be some haze - always good for the fishing. I was last into the draw tin so had the choice of one - peg 10 on Hawthornes. Happy with this and had good company with Lewis Jones on peg 9 and Glynn Wickham on 12. I had a walk along the pegs and could see plenty of Carp at each end but not so many where I was drawn. Glenn had drawn peg 14 and with peg 15 not drawn I thought he stood a good chance of winning the Canal and overall. So I decided to fish for Silvers.

I setup a 4x14 Winter Titan to fish top-set plus one out in front with single LR's over GB laced with Pinkie and LR's. I also setup the Ronnie rig and a 0.3 gram shotted paste float just in case.

I started by feeding a reasonable ball of GB and had Skimmers fizzing straight away and had four in four put-ins. Happy days - until the Ronnies showed up who were getting to the hook bait quicker than the Skimmers so switched to the Ronnie rig and could catch a 1-2 oz fish every cast plus the occasional Skimmer. I found myself in a Silvers battle with Glynn. Then I found that on topping up the GB the Carp would come over it which resulted in some unwanted foul hooking. With 2 1/2 Hours left I think Glynn and me were neck and neck on the Silvers. However, I had enough of the foulers so thought I would drop the paste in over the GB line and caught a Carp first try! I stayed on this to the end, first trying loose feeding hard 4's which brought the Carp up in the 5 foot of water - more fouling, by Switching back to the hard balls of neat GB found that they came straight down on it. I'm not sure how many I had but caught 107 lb 4 oz during this time losing a few in the tree stumps. Blimey they fight hard, due to the water quality methinks.

My Silvers weighed in at 22 lb 2 oz adding my Carp took me to sixth overall total of 129 lb 6 oz. Should I have fished for Carp from the start - probably, but how boring would this have been. I have taken paste for the last four matches and haven't had a bite on it until today so that was really pleasing - warm weather?

The venue fished really well with some great Carp and Silvers weights from both Canals. Can't wait to get down here again.

The match was won by Bob Gullick (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 180 lb 6 oz from Hawthorns peg 4. Bob caught initially ob pellet over to the far bank in 18 inches of water and laster fished Meat short.

The Silvers really feed well all round with Nigel Wickham amassing 41 lb 12 oz of Skimmers from Hawthorns peg 6 - surprised me but not the Gamekeeper. Nigel caught on Chopped worm and corn - feeding both with GB.

The paste and now slapping master Glenn Bailey came second overall with 169 lb 6 oz.

Result:

1. Bob Gullick 180-06-0 peg 4 (H)
2. Glenn Bailey 169-06-0 peg 14 (H)
3. Tom Thick 153-10-0 peg 15 (W)

Silvers:

1. Nigel Wickham 41-12-0 peg 6 (H)
2. Tony Thick 34-0-0 peg 3 (H)

Weigh Sheets:


















No comments: