Monday 1 April 2019

Sunday 31/03/2019 - Shiplate Farm Open - Main Lake

I was ate booking in but first on the reserve list and was delighted when Carol called to advise I was able to fish, otherwise it would be peggy Windmill.

Traveling with Glenn " Two Post" Bailey today and had mixed emotions when he arrived without the Lagoona this car had served Glenn well over the years. However, a new era starts with what could be the new "Battle Bus" (pictured right). I must say it's the right size of van to comfortably fit two sets of tackle.

Arrived at the fishery and was nice to meet up with the Gamekeeper and Goldilocks. Looking around the fishery and was amazed how much work Steve has done here over the winter - absolutely immaculate. Better kept than most gardens. The temperature had dropped some with a chilly wind blowing from the NE, so blowing into pegs 9A/10.

Nineteen fishing with all the usual regulars. I had forgotten my Camomile tea bag so not as relaxed today with normal tea!

From comments being made at the draw the far bank was the place to be for the Skimmers. In to the plastic bucket and out comes peg 7. Near bank but would have the wind behindish. Have drawn it before and had 32 lb of Roach. However, judging from my match last week the Roach had not fed, so anticipated it would be the case today. Set up the Ronnie rig and a 4x14 Winter Titan, which was heavier than the peg required but the tow against the wind was strong so it proved to be the right selection. Thats was it except to deliver my Drennan margin pole to Two Pots who had drawn peg 1 again!

I started by feeding a nub of GB with loose casters on the Ronnie line but started at top-set plus 4 with 4 mm expander over potted micro. First put in I had a 6 oz Skimmer and next a 1 lb Carp (The Gamekeeper has stocked some small Carp). A brilliant start especially as the rest hadn't had a bite. Unbelievably that was it not another bite even though I kept topping up with micro. After 15 more minutes I went on the Ronnie line with a single caster no bites - blimey. I went negative and fed neat GB and switched to single LR on the Ronnie rig and started to catch the odd fish small Perch, Ruffe, Ronnies small Skimmers and Rudd - not weight builders by any means. I then had a another small Carp about 8 oz. I then hooked a right munter which came in close the the rocky margin and snapped me. I switched to fishing the Ronnie line with the Titan and first put in hooked another large Carp. I was lucky to get it out as it was touch and go who was going to give in first. Clearly a twenty. After this spell I never seen another Carp. However, the better Skimmers arrived with the rest of the match spent catching steady Skimmers to 2 lb including two Perch to 1 1/2 lb.

My Carp weighed 22 lb 2 oz (making the one Carp just over 20 lb) and my Silvers 31 lb 8 oz for a Silver win and a match fourth of 53 lb 10 oz. As always a great days fishing at this venue (my catch pictured upper right).

As expected the match was won by Glenn Bailey (pictured right with some of his catch) with 83 lb 14 oz from peg 1. Glenn caught all but one fish on the paste and pole plus a couple of munters from his margin late on.

No better way to christen the new van but with a double bubble.

Finally it was Goldilocks birthday today pictured right with a fellow Aries with some birthday cake. 

Result:

1. Glenn Bailey 88-14-0 peg 1
2. Andy Thick 59-12-0 peg 15
3. Mark Jones 54-06-0 peg 9A
4. Mike Nicholls 53-10-0 peg 7
5. Gary Flinders 52-08-0 peg 3

Silvers:

1. Mike Nicholls 31-08-0 peg 7
2. Dom Sullivan 23-10-0 peg 10
3. Glynn Widdicombe 19-0-0 peg 13 

Weigh Sheet:



No comments: