Sunday 6 January 2019

Sunday 06/01/2019 - Windmill Open - Match Lake

With a weather window today with temperature forecast to be back up to 9 degrees for the one day thought I would go local to Windmill. I met Geoff Francis for breakfast in Wetherspoons at Staple Hill. Food still not warm enough for me.

Surprised to find 17 fishing. I paid my £20 and into the wooden box and wooden counter 16 comes out. Definitely not what I would have chosen. The Silver fishing has been very poor here lately, however, this didn't put me off even though there has been an influx of small Carp. For company I had Chris Shipp-Davis - Chris isn't a sponsored angler, but don't seem to pay for any bait - on peg 18 and Lee Masey on peg 14, at least we had plenty of room.

I set up a 4x14 Titan to fish top-set plus three at 11 o'clock with GB and Pinkie and the same rig to fish another barrel longer at 10 o'clock with LR's over LR's and Micro.

I fed the two lines and started in double Pinkie over the GB. After 45 minutes without a bite I switched to double LR over the other line and started to get some indications and soon had a 3 lb Carp in the net. Two more followed before it went quiet. I had been topping up after each fish so an enforced no feeding followed!  fed again and had two quick Skimmers. The line completely died. Tried the GB line and had one small tug which was probably a small Perch. I decided to fish over to the island at 13 metres so set up a 4x12 Titan set to three foot. With double DR over kindered DR's I had a run of five more Carp, losing 2 foulers. With 30 minutes to go I felt as if there was nothing else to be caught in the peg but "Knomed it" until the end.

My two Skimmers weighed 3 lb 8 oz for second Silvers! My small Carp weighed 22 lb and the total of 25 lb 8 oz put me 6 th overall, beating Geoff by 1 lb exactly.

The match was won by Andy Lord (pictured upper right with some of his catch) with 93 lb 14 oz from peg 11. Andy caught the waggler fished towards the end of the island using single maggot over loose fed same.

The Silvers was won by Scott Conroy (pictured right with the match winner) with 8 lb 8 oz from peg 1. Scott caught one decent Perch the rest being small Roach all caught on maggot.

Result:

1. Andy Lord 93-14-0 peg 11
2. Dave Willmott 66-10-0npeg 10
3. Jack Arpino 57-08-0 peg 7

Silvers:

1. Scott Conroy 8-08-0 peg 1
2. Mike Nicholls 3-08-0 peg 16

Weigh Sheet:


No comments: