Friday 18 January 2019

17/01/2019 - Plantation - Rixon/Faiers Silvers Only - Main Lake

Geoff and I stopped in the Bridge Inn for breakfast. Service was good, however, the sausages were interesting, first bite and after chewing it for five minutes spat it out. The texture was akin to what I imagined the cardboard tube in a toilet roll might be. The "Chef" must be an alchemist to achieve this!

Over the years I have caught some strange things. Today must be my strangest - a Toothbrush - pictured right, which was landed shipping back on the whistle and foul hooked. I understand that Chris Ollis has caught a Mobile Phone, which is difficult, but plenty of anglers have lose fed them. But who takes a toothbrush fishing? I took it home for the Special One.

Geoff and I had a walk around the Lake which Tony had re-pegged, to find a cold stiff breeze blowing down the Lake, which later was to drop. Seventeen fishing today. Into the draw tub and out comes peg 3 - happy with that. Halfway to the Lake and a re-draw was shouted - bugger. Into the draw tub again and this time peg 8. Not as good as 3 was my thinking, however, getting to the peg and although there were plenty of stiff competition in my section they were all bunched together whilst I had plenty of room, so best peg in section by a long way was my thinking especially as the bright conditions would make the fishing hard.

I set up a 4x12 Titan and used it to plumb around and found that the depths were acceptably similar. I also found that the inside line was much too shallow to fish the Ronnie rig. So the one rig would fit all. There were signs of plenty of Carp just off the opposite island.

I decided on two lines one at top-set plus four at 10 o'clock for GB and maggot and the same length at 2 o'clock for 4 mm expander over micro. After liberally feeding both lines I started on my banker, the pellet. I quickly had a Ronnie followed by a few more before it died with signs of Carp having moved over the pellet. So an enforced switch to the GB line with triple Pinkie and I had a good two hours catching Ronnies and small Skimmers, it was never furious. I then had a decent Perch and two big Skimmers. I then lost two more close in which I think was caused by the hook pulling out due to the fish dragging the shallow bottom. I couldn't get my head around the feeding as it was a question of feed a nub and catch three quick fish and then feed again. I felt I was feeding far too much. I had, drawing the Carp in, and after losing one the swim completely died. I decided to put a big pot of micro in the pellet line to keep the Carp away. It was soon fizzing. I decided to add another section and start another line at 11.5 metres above the pellet line with the GB mix. My thinking was that the big Skimmers follow the feeding Carp. This worked and had two more decent Skimmers losing one foul hooker on the drop and another on the shallow slope - bugger. I went back over the original GB line and caught a few Ronnie before hooking another Carp which pulled my top 5 out of the pole, with it heading out to the middle of the Lake so was about to jump in when the fish turned and headed back so I was able to reclaimed the pole which had filled with water so was very heavy, the Carp broke me. How lucky was that, all I had was red hands from the freezing water. Then the tooth brush.

I weighed 17 lb for the section and fourth overall. As I predicted those anglers with more room did the best today. I'm sure Tony will rethink the pegging for the next match. That said there was plenty of fish caught with a tight frame.

The match was won by camera shy Dave Wride (pictured right - not caught on CCTV) with 27 lb 8 oz from peg 16. Dave caught in the water on the pole using 4 mm expander over potted micro and loose fed hard 4's.

Plenty of Rats spotted.

Result:

1. Dave Wride 27-08-0 peg 16
2. Dave Willmott 22-08-0 peg 1
3. Paul Barnfield 18-14-0 peg 2
4. Mike Nicholls 17-0-0 peg 8
5. Hughie Evans 16-04-0 peg 5
6. Chris Fox 15-15-0 peg 14

Weigh Sheet: 


No comments: