Friday 26 October 2018

Thursday 25/10/2018 - Bathampton AA - Over 55's - Bridge Pool

Yet more Siltex going into Bridge Pool. So anglers can expect the fish to be sickened off from feeding on the bottom. What a waste of club finances especially as there is little to no silt in Bridge pool in comparison to all the other still water fisheries I fish. The Pool use to have a lovey ochre colour which has significantly changed, becoming much clearer.

Pete Turner gave me some of his Mumbles beers to try, first one up looks interesting.

I am still having problems sleeping because of my damaged shoulder, so wasn't sure I should go today. The problem is exacerbated by being still so thought I would be better off moving the shoulders so after some pain killers went anyway. 

I thought of going for a disabled draw today, but hate fishing these platforms, makes me feel caged. So into the open draw bag and out comes disabled peg 8 in any case. For company I had my Doombar partner Dave "Shithead" Gillard on peg 10 and Mike Taylor on peg 7.

I had already decided wherever I draw I would limit myself to top-set plus two. So set up a 4x16 F1 Titan to fish at this length and by moving the float down by two inches it suited my close line with one barrel removed, also set up the Ronnie rig and a margin paste float which only had a short excursion - paste may be over! I started long with 4mm Sonubaits expander over wetted micro and started catching hand size Skimmers which lasted about an hour. So I fed the short line with GB and had a go on the Ronnie rig with LRM's over loose fed same and had about 2 lb of small Perch before I had to retire it due loose feeding aggravating the shoulder. So came short over the GB and could hook a small Ronnie every put in, with most falling off ( I thought I was going to get some micro barbed hooks?). At half time I reckon I had a bout 10 lb of Silvers which from what I could tell was as good as anyone else. So change of plan this week deciding to stay with the Silvers. I had fed all the lines prior to half time and had switched the short line to a "to hand" rig to reduce Ronnie losses. Back out on the expander and had some better Skimmers and a couple of F1's. Re-fed and went on the short to hand rig and had a more productive run of Ronnies. The upshot was by switching between these two lines I kept the Silvers coming plus two decent Carp on the expander.

My Carp weighed 14 lb 15 oz and my Silvers 22 lb 14 oz for a total of 37 lb 13 oz for second Silvers and third overall, so mission accomplished. Glad I came fishing.

The match was won by Dave Wride with 67 lb 5 oz from peg 28. Dave caught in the water on the pole.

The runner up was newbie Allan Oram (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 52 lb 15 oz from peg 21. Allan caught in the open water using expanders over micro. His catch mainly made up of F1's.

The Silvers was won once again by Paul Barnfield with 30 lb 14 oz from peg 14. One thing with Paul is that I know exactly how he catches because we all get his running commentary. Paul started on worm hook bait and later switched to maggot all over micro feed. Paul caught in spell, after 2/3 Skimmers he had a long wait for the next bus load.

Result:

1. Dave Wride 67-05-0 peg 28
2. Allan Oram 52-25-0 peg 21
3. Mike Nicholls 37-13-0 peg 8

Silvers:

1. Paul Barnfield 30-14-0 peg 14
2. Mike Nicholls 22-14-0 peg 8
3. Dave Wride 14-08-0 peg 28

Weigh Sheets:






No comments: