Monday 8 October 2018

Saturday 06/10/2018 - Todber Manor Pairs - Hillview, Ash and Homeground

I had planned to fish this league with Bela but for various reasons ended up substituting himself for Martin McMahon. So two Coffin Dodgers go South.

I can say without contradiction that to a man we were unprepared for the weather that was to face us. This venue is affected by the wind, so higher it is the more we catch. Sit out of the wind and there is a good possibility that you would struggle. The weather conditions were horrendous fierce NW wind which was icy cold and horizontal rain.  

The pools payout is based on four sections of nine anglers with section payouts only - £100 first and £60 second. No overall payouts, which I like. Two sections on Hillview, one on Ash and the other on Homeground. First match we got to chose of either Hillview or Ash/Homeground. I let Martin choose deciding on Hillview and drew peg 52 up the leg, which was OK but would be facing the wind. I go in and draw peg 64 on Ash, which is three pegs up from the shop end. I couldn't comment on whether is was a good draw or not. For company I had the affable Ashley on peg 65 and on end peg 62 Pete. I stood on the platform and with the wind blowing down this end of the Lake I watched the 4 inch high waves battering through and wanted to go straight back home - it was bloody freezing.

I only had maggot, expanders and paste hookbaits so thought the paste would be unusable in such conditions. Nonetheless, I only put 4 mm expanders, paste, micros and hard 4's on the bait table. Three rigs two paste floats one for the margin the other up the shelf at top-set plus one barrel, a 4x16 winter to fish top-set plus three barrels for the expander, which was far too ambitious in such conditions.


Before the all in I still wanted to go home! I kindered some hard 4's followed by my paste mix on the long paste line. It just hit bottom when the float went under from a liner. The tow was very strong into the wind. In again and I caught a 2 lb Carp. Paste vindicated which was a relief. I kept on this line for most of the match because I found the down wind margin was towing so hard my feed ended up by my keepnet! There was no way I was going to face the wind and rain especially with glasses on.I experimented with feeding a mix of 4's and micro and found the Skimmers appeared so stayed with the 4's - for another day! Halfway through my hands were so cold they stopped working. However, I had a good days fishing but did get frustrated with the tow. It was so difficult to hold the paste back, hence I was towing into fish causing at least 20 foulers today. All my Carp were between 1 lb and 3 lb with only one 8 lb. All I knew I had beaten the only angler I could see which was Pete on the end peg.


I finished the match with 142 lb 2 oz for second in the section and 7th overall. Second seems habitual at the moment, but would settle for this every time. I got beat by matey Martyn Rayet who weighed 177 lb. It was noticeable how much bigger his fish was to mine - us pictured upper right - who's the Silverfox?

Sorry Ash a Bristol chip shop sandwich for you today.

Martyn's partner Joe McMahon did well his catch included a PB Carp of 19 lb 14 oz - pictured upper  right.


Although my partner weighed a 100 lb it was only worth 7 points! The venue fished it's head off.

The match was won by Steve Tucker (pictured right with his partner whom also won his section and came second overall - the pair to beat I think) with 201 lb 7 oz from Hillview peg 49, renamed "Tuck's corner" because he draws it so often! Steve caught on maggot over GB both from his margins and short out in front.

What a great fishery but be aware ij owner Jon Candy say's dip your nets best dip them!

Result:

1. Steve Tucker 201-07-0 peg 49 HV
2. Gary O'Shea 184-10-0 peg 80 HG
3. Martyn Rayett 177-0-0 peg 67 Ash
4. Vince Brown 173-09-0 peg 50 HV
5. Dave Romaine 152-14-0 peg 86 HG
6. Matt 146-10-0 peg 85

Weigh Sheets:



























































No comments: