Sunday 14 October 2018

Saturday 13/10/2018 - Avalon Silvers League - Match Lake

Firstly well done to Craig Edmonds for winning the Parkdean Masters and picking up £25,000 - well deserved. This proves how strong the angling is in the South West with seven local anglers making it to the final.

Martyn Rayet asked me to stand in for him in the Avalon Saturday Silvers League. I agreed as I was free. I have had some great weights of Ronnie Roach at this venue, but we all know how finicky theses fish can be.

The night before I was advised that the road I usually use to access the fishery was closed, so I planned another route which added another four miles. I went passed the road closed sign and wished I had tested it as I found out later that it was passable - bugger. I was hoping that the horrendous weather forecast was also passable. The temperature was 20 degrees - Weather Weirdness.

Breakfast in Shipham and met two anglers off to Stafford Moor for a weeks holiday.

Arriving at the fishery I was surprised to find only 16 fishing. For some reason I had expected 30+ as it's a great venue. this probably due to being on Saturdays which can be difficult for many. Nice to see Paul Locke fishing.

The wind was horrendous so the pegging was changed to 8 per side and all in a row - no empty pegs creating 4 end pegs. Into the draw tub and out comes disc 43. This was the right side for some shelter from the wind and I could park behind my peg. However, it's not the best side for the Ronnies. For company I had the two Dodds.

I set up a short Ronnie rig, a 4x12 Roob both for the LH margin where I had 4 foot of water right up to the bank. I then got out the heaviest float in the box a 4 x16 which was totally out gunned by the depth and tow against the wind. I tried it at top-set plus 1 and at 10 metres, but with all the shot on the bottom it would not hold. I did spend some time on this holding back which resulted in one Ronnie and a tiny Skimmer fishing DR's over DR laced GB. In the meantime I kept thinking about the 4 gram floats I had home which would be about right today. I had a feeder rod in the Car but didn't set it up those that did didn't catch on it.

The league is decided on overall weight which after one match Martyn was winning. So I thought it important to get as many ounces in the net as possible rather than risk sitting it out for a Bream or two. So I spent 90 % of the match in the margin. I started on the Ronnie rig with single caster over caster and was getting indications from Ronnies so went shallow with maggot and had a run of Ronnie's with one around 12 oz. This died so tried the Roob tight to the bank and caught the odd Ronnie. One thing I discovered is that Oak leaves are attracted to yellow topped floats! between switching between the two rigs up and down I kept the odd fish coming. I did lose a Tench (thick slime) which caught me by surprise diving behind my keep net - bugger. I managed to avoid most of the Carp hooking three landing two for an estimated 20 lb.

The wind was absolutely horrendous. The wind affects the hydrodynamics in many ways which I find fascinating. It certainly affects where the fish are prepared to sit and where they feed.


I weighed a meagre 5 lb 6 oz for halfway! Still it kept Martyn in the running now in second place.

The match was won by Joe McMahon (pictured right) with 26 lb 3 oz from peg 7. Joe caught two early Bream at 10 metres, then switched to top-set plus one to his left to land more Bream to 4 lb. Joe fished DR's over DR laced GB. What was interesting re hydraulics although Joe was on the more wind affected side his rig was going with the wind? I think the islands affect the the tow (funneling) and with Joe in open water may have been responsible. One thing I am sure of Joe will soon be another Parkdean masters qualifier.

Incidentally Avalon and Todber Manor are exactly the same distance from home at 66 miles return and both taking 1 hour 11 minutes one way.

Result:

1. Joe McMahon 26-03-0 peg 7
2. Gabe 19-01-0 peg 39 End peg
3. Alan Parsons 12-04-0 peg 47 End peg

Weigh Sheet:




















League to Date:


No comments: